Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when you have a lot of bobbins with bits of thread? >

What do you do when you have a lot of bobbins with bits of thread?

What do you do when you have a lot of bobbins with bits of thread?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

I have a plastic container that has dividers in it and put the spool of thread with the matching bobbin. I also try to use all the thread on the bobbin before starting another one.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Default Agree

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Usually it's colored thread that is left on my not used up bobbins. I pull it off and stick in a ziploc bag. When the mood strikes to be crafty, I layer the thread between water solvable web and sew it all together. Then I cut shapes out of it. Great for decorating totes and other projects.
I do this also, I keep a little thread scrap bag by my machine to put these in. Funny enough, I made a spider web for Halloween with some tulle and water soluble stabilizer, when I went to my bag to get the thread.... it was empty..... still haven't found it but I just went to my thread collection and snipped off a bunch, especially using some of the thread I don't like (my machine doesn't like sulky particularly well, has a tendency to break and also comes apart... I buy it on sale at Joanns and love the selection of colors and price)
I collect thread the way some quilters collect fabric... but my compulsion doesn't cost as much or take up as much space. lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM

I use those with my crazy quilting or similar patterns, where the seams are hidden.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Usually it's colored thread that is left on my not used up bobbins. I pull it off and stick in a ziploc bag. When the mood strikes to be crafty, I layer the thread between water solvable web and sew it all together. Then I cut shapes out of it. Great for decorating totes and other projects.
I've been saving all my scraps of thread and fabric for this same type of project. It's amazing how small my trash accumulation is each week when we empty the cans in the house. I have a couple extra large zip bags in the closet filled w/ bits of this and that.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM

I use the thread from almost-used bobbins for hand basting or for English paper piecing basting.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
When you have lots of thread bits, it's time to make a scrap quilt and use them up! The many colours will work out just fine and you'll be left with empty bobbins.
I agree. String quilts are good for using up thread. I don't waste ANYTHING!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have just finished several projects and have a bunch of bobbins that are about 1/4 full. Too much to pull off and too little to save. I was thinking of using the bobbins up when I piece a project that has similar color fabric.

Do you pull it off the bobbin or ????
I save it and use it up on smaller projects!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I use it for basting. If I need the bobbin I just wind those odd pieces of threads on
an empty spool. I may have 10 different threads on one spool.
GREAT idea! Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM

I have purchased lot's of bobbins and use the 1/2 bobbins to price with. For the most part the color is white, cream, or gray. I also have a bobbin winder and I figure out how many bobbins in need for a project and wind them before I begin then I don't have to stop in the middle of a project and wind bobbins. I have 15-20 bobbins for each machine.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM

I use up the leftover bobbins when I'm piecing scrap quilts, it doesn't matter what color I use.