Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foolish cheapness >

Foolish cheapness

Foolish cheapness

Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I have one hand sewing needle I use all time. So much so it is developing a slight curve.
As for my cutting mat, a piece of extra fine sandpaper fixes it right up.
I store all my dull cutting blades in a drawer, for what? who knows...........LOL
You are saving those old blades for the day when they finally come out with a sharpener that works. I'm saving mine too.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM

I have to admit to using blades that are a bit dull. If I'm in a hurry I'll grab some Alfoil and run the blade through it a few times. That will carry me through to the end of a sewing session. I hear lots of people say the sharpeners don't work but I have no problems with mine and they do sharpen the blades. I have all but the first blade I bought. I threw the first one out before I knew about sharpeners.
I see a lot of quilters say their mats are worn. That is more likely the reason you don't think your blade sharpeners work. A bad mat is worse than cutting paper to blunt a rotary blade. I use a piece of tulle or a piece of batting to clean my boards. It's a catch 22:- messy mat blunts blades, blunt blades mess up mats.
I had my machine mechanic come and service all four of my machines today and he paid me a compliment which he has given me before. He says my machines are the cleanest he's ever seen. I clean my machines with a long pipe cleaner. He said as I keep them so clean I only need to have them checked every two years.
I find if I look after my tools (not just quilting) keep them clean and cover them when not in use they last a long time.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I threw away a 6 x 24 ruler of mine at my guild's sew day.. The measurement lines and numbers were worn faint and the ruler was very scratched and cloudy. It was in my tote and I had bougth a new ruler to use. One member about had a stroke seeing it in the trash. She couldn't believe I threw a ruler that wasn't broken away. She harped on it all day. I know next time to break a worn ruler before tossing out to save someone the shock. LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM

i extend the life of rotary blades by running them though aluiminmin foil. i am so cheap i even use used foil,that i recycle...lol
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I threw away a 6 x 24 ruler of mine at my guild's sew day.. The measurement lines and numbers were worn faint and the ruler was very scratched and cloudy. It was in my tote and I had bougth a new ruler to use. One member about had a stroke seeing it in the trash. She couldn't believe I threw a ruler that wasn't broken away. She harped on it all day. I know next time to break a worn ruler before tossing out to save someone the shock. LOL
You could have told her she could have it if she wanted to go after it!

I've noticed that some of my rulers did develop a curve on the edges after much use, so the cut was no longer straight.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Pretty much all of the above. And I honestly can't understand why I'm such a miser about the rotary blades.
I replaced the blades in both cutters yesterday in preparation for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. I really don't know how long I've been leaving uncut strings, saying mumble curses, and going back and recutting...just how hard is it to walk over and get a new blade.
when I put the new blades in (holy cow, the expense the expense...) I noticed I'd put the date of purchase on the container...2009. And only two blades were gone.

Yet behind all of us probably sits thousands and thousands of dollars worth of fabric there is no hope we can use, and we don't give a thought to running out and buying more. Quilters are funny thinkers
LOL LOL, Yes that is true. The fabric is pretty and inspires us, the other stuff is very important as it helps us do a good job, but it just isn't pretty
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Yeah, my Brother sewing machine. I should have made the dealer take it back and given me my money back. Another $100 would have garnered me a better quality machine that was actually geared towards quilting. I well over $200 in repair costs for something that couldn't be fixed.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Bella; I've used broken rulers as purse bottoms - just covered them with ugly fabric first then matching liner fabric so they looked pretty and I reused the ruler. Just a thought/suggestion.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM

There is a company that recycles used rotary blades. You could look on line and recycle them.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM

I did replace my iron and I am glad I did, Now for the rest...Ummmmm later.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Are there items that you try to 'made do' with looooonnnng after it would have been sensible to have replaced/changed/serviced them?

And after you finally do, wonder 'what took me so long?'

My list:

rotary blades - dull or nicked
cutting mats - warped, cracked, or used so much that it is no longer smooth enough to cut properly on
rulers that have been used so much that the edge is curved instead of still straight
sewing machine needles
hand sewing needles - I keep on using one that has developed a curve in it
getting scissors sharpened
putting up with an iron that is not working properly
using an ironing board cover that is pathetic