Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
glue basting questions >

glue basting questions

glue basting questions

Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Default glue basting questions

I will be glue basting a quilt for the first time today and have a couple questions for the experts! I found a very thin poly batting (quilters dream I think) that was recommended to help achieve a flat finish. The liquid washable school glue works ok with poly, right? If I don't iron the glue and just let it air dry, how long does it take to set up? I also will be drawing my fmq design onto the top with the Frixxion pen, but not sure if I should be putting the design on before basting? or after? Will the glue affect the way the ink works? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't have the answer, but will be watching this thread as I want to use the same technique with a table topper and poly batting. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM

I have glue basted with poly batting with no problems. If you were ironing your glue dry I'd say to use the Frixion pen after but since you're letting it air dry I'm not sure if it would matter when you traced your design on. It may be easier without the batting underneath. Can't help with the drying question. I've always ironed mine dry.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM

I always iron dry mine. If you decide not to, be sure to press/smoothe your quilt well to make the glue adhere to the fabric. let it dry untill the glue is hard. As for the pen, not a clue, since I have never used it. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Why not use the temporary basting spray? I use the Elmer's School glue when I'm doing paper piecing or bindings. I love the spray basting.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I don't iron my Elmer's School glue when I baste. It takes a few hours to dry, but, I have been patient so far. I have tried spray basting a few times and it isn't for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm trying the glue because I can buy a big bottle of glue for a dollar....spray basting is messy (overspray), expensive, and I can put the glue on the batting, allowing me to see the backing/top and smooth away any wrinkles before the glue dries. I've already done the top and am thrilled with how easily it works, the backing is half done and is 100% smooth! It does take a bit longer, but well worth the effort. For those of you who iron the glue dry, are you spreading your quilt on the floor to iron? what are you putting underneath to protect the surface? I have currently spread my quilt out on the pool table and doing about 1/3 at a time, but no ironing there....hubby would disown me