Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching... >

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM

It's going to be a beautiful quilt/bedspread, love the colors and the blocks. I've never tried the metallic threads because of all the stories I've heard about it, but what I will suggest is going with a machine embroidery thread. Here's the site where I've bought some, they have some absolutely gorgeous threads, all kinds of colors, have fantastic service and the prices are all fabulous. I love using it for FM quilting, I think it looks so much better than using the cotton quilting threads.

Sorry for the double posting.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM

It's going to be a beautiful quilt/bedspread, love the colors and the blocks. I've never tried the metallic threads because of all the stories I've heard about it, but what I will suggest is going with a machine embroidery thread. Here's the site where I've bought some, they have some absolutely gorgeous threads, all kinds of colors, have fantastic service and the prices are all fabulous, http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?...h=20_27&page=4, their gold threads. I love using it for FM quilting, I think it looks so much better than using the cotton quilting threads.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM

I have only used metalic thread once. Had the right needle and it still wasn't working. I called my beloved repairman and he told me to jerryrig my spool so it was sideways to the needle, not sitting straight up. This was with a Baby Lock machine (which I no longer have). It made all the difference! I don't know why. I was quilting swirls into a waterfall and it worked beautifully. Hope this helps.

Also, I have just bought my first spool of the machine embroidery thread and can hardly wait to see how it works. If you go this route, let us all know!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Lovely quilt.

Are you using the same thread in the bobbin? I had not used metallic thread but I know that my machine does not like a mixture. I have to use the same thread top and bottom otherwise I have all sorts of problems.

I hope that you can sort it out soon - very frustrating for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Looking good, hope you solve your thread problem.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Have had the same problem also. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Your quilt is beautiful!
I purchased metalic thread on a large spool named "Superior Mettalics" from Superior Thread and was told it works great by other quilters who have used it but I haven't tried it yet. Good Luck to you!!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM View Post
Some one once said to put the metalic thread in the bobbin and quilt from the back side but that seems so difficult to do. I think there is a product (sewers aid)that you can rub on your spool of thread to help it go through your machine better and prevent it from breaking.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thank you MrsM!!! All I needed was to add the Sewers Aid to the thread! OMG!! Woo HOO! Gonna see progress now! Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

I bought a stand called the Thread Tamer by Wonderfil thread. It works like a charm! I saw it at our annual sewing/craft fair here and it works well for all kinds of specialty threads. It is available online if you do a search. The small metallic thread spools turn as the thread is used and no tangling or twisting occurs that way (flat spools on top and bottom of spool). However, I have a lot of other spool shapes so ended up putting them on the bottom of the stand where they couldn't rotate. They are too big to fit in the area where the spool turns for the flat spools. However, they worked well on that stand, too as the thread went straight up and then across to the threading area.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM

I have had the same problem and I was told that if you do the stitching slowly the thread will not break as easy and also make sure your needle is the right size. I usually use a metalic made needle. I sure hope this helps you some.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM

I have never heard of Sewer Aide...love this board...time to do a search to see what it is.