Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
thinking of buying ipad.....why??????? >

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

thinking of buying ipad.....why???????

Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM

I prefer to access the QB website from my iPad because it's faster to toggle between subjects than on my computer. I love to listen to music with my headphones while reading books on it. We love internet radio because conventional radio has too many commercials, so we turn it on take it from room to room around the house. I purchased a portable wireless keyboard so when I'm away from my computer, I can do emails easily. I can't live without my iPad because of the many useful apps they have out now (yes, I spend way too much time on Words With Friends). My newest favorite app is the one that I can send and receive text messages (don't understand how it "knows" my cell phone since it doesn't have cellphone capability), but it does! We love to watch Modern Family in bed - it has many reruns of our favorite TV series.

It won't replace your computer, but it adds so much to my life that I would replace it in a heartbeat if anything were to happen to it.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 AM

I have the Samsung Galaxy 7" and have been very happy with it. I carry it in my purse and rarely go anyway without it. I have figured out a way to send something to our printer now. I hardly ever go to the desk top computer anymore. I can email, facebook, movies, surf the web, read kindle books and am writing this post from it. My husband won this one off of ebay for anexcellant price !!!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 AM

First I got a Kindle - 3 1/2 years ago and I still use it a lot. Then I got a Droid phone which I recently replaced with an iphone. Last year I got a Nook color and put a wee card in it with android. I use them all and wouldn't be without. The iphone has internet no matter where I am and serves as a GPS as well. I download books from the public library - from my home - on both the Kindle and the Nook tablet. My laptop mostly gathers dust in the sewing room - I use it for embroidery designs more than anything else. I also have a blue tooth keyboard I can use with the tablet which uses wi-fi. Can you tell I am a computer nerd??
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 AM

I just got my Ipad Tuesday. I had decided on the Ipad because of facetime. Where we live our internet is not so great (in the country) and with facetime I can visit with our grandkids in Texas! For that reason alone I went with the full size Ipad otherwise I would of considered nexus7 or samsung. I really wanted the bigger screen to see them better. My second purpose is to take it to my sewing studio to use. I have used the Iphone for years, so to me there was no learning curve at all. I do like reading books on it, can't say I have used it all that much yet as I use my phone mostly. I still use my laptop as my main pc. I have this love/hate relationship with technology!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 AM
vjc

Default IPad

You wouldn't go wrong getting an iPad. They are convenient, compact, cordless, and ideal for having near you to watch tutorials and sewing as you watch each step. I like mine!!!!!Have it fully charged so you will have hours of it being cordless. I hardly ever use my laptop. Hope this encourages you.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of maybe buying an ipad.......but I really need to justify the purchase in my mind.......I have been watching tutes on various quilting things.....gifts, quickies, etc., and am thinking....since I don't have either my laptop or my desktop in my sewing cave this might be the justifiable reason to get the ipad... so I can tune in and sew from the tute right there in my sewing cave....how's that......no, I do not have one of those smart phones...........just a low rate cell that I carry in purse when I drive, just in case.......what do you all think......thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm holding out for a convertible ultrabook. The iPad is okay, but I need waaaay more functionality than what it provides. It drives me crazy that I can't multi-task and have more than one application open at a time. I also want to be able to run programs like EQ and PhotoShop, which you can't do on an iPad. A convertible ultrabook is a combination of an iPad and a laptop.
Now this opens another can of worms.........who makes and where are these....is that their official name........I can imagine the price on one of these is even higher than the iPad........another option...oh dear, this gets (what was it that Alice in Wonderland said?).............
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by kathbug View Post
My DH just bought me an I pad in August . I had asked for one of those things that you can read books on because I read a lot and spend to much money on books even though I reread them. I decided an iPad would be better. I have to say I love it love it, love it!!!!!!! I take to to watch all the videos on making quilts, hoe to do different techniques, and soooo much more, I take it everywhere and I really didn't think I would. Using it right know! Get one you'll love it!
This fits me almost. DH gave me mine last Christmas. I too use it to watch videos & listen to music while I quilt.
Still prefer my laptop for most things. Still learning on Ipad & actually wanted the Samsung Gallaxy but he didn't ask me & I waited too late to return it.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
This fits me almost. DH gave me mine last Christmas. I too use it to watch videos & listen to music while I quilt.
Still prefer my laptop for most things. Still learning on Ipad & actually wanted the Samsung Gallaxy but he didn't ask me & I waited too late to return it.
Why did you prefer the Samsung over the iPad? Wasn't Samsung recently sued by Apple for "copying" their technology and I think Apple won the suit.......
I have seen other "tablets" at Walmart, for example, and they are a lot cheaper....I wonder what the differences are between them...I don't ask the clerks in the dept., because I really don't think they are that knowledgeable.......just from observation....

I am really almost convinced that I would/could use one of these......but I will wait until after Christmas-that is when I do my personal "Christmas shopping".......I will let you know..........sidebar: I went to Applestore to see about refurbished models....the price is less than $50 less than retail, so why bother...........
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of maybe buying an ipad.......but I really need to justify the purchase in my mind.......I have been watching tutes on various quilting things.....gifts, quickies, etc., and am thinking....since I don't have either my laptop or my desktop in my sewing cave this might be the justifiable reason to get the ipad... so I can tune in and sew from the tute right there in my sewing cave....how's that......no, I do not have one of those smart phones...........just a low rate cell that I carry in purse when I drive, just in case.......what do you all think......thanks
Well, I didn't think I needed one either but my husband surprised me with one on Thursday. I LOVE it. Yesterday I spent about two hours on it watching my crafty class. It's more portable than my laptop. It's so fun. In fact where is my laptop????
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 AM

I have an Ipad but I do not use it much, since I have a Apple laptop and love it...I do not like the keybrd on the ipad...but after reading this thread and those use use it for a camera...duh....why have I not thought of that...