Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching... >

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Help Please - need advice about metallic thread satin applique stitching...

Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM

I don't remember where I saw it but there was a website that gave tips for sewing with metallic thread. Use a larger eye needle. One kind of metallic thread you want to you want to come off of the top of the spool and the other kind should roll off of the side. I don't remember which was which. It did help but I have never found a method to work very well to sew with metallic. I only use it for very small projects.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! I love paisley too. Thread does have a shelf life, as I found out through working with machine embroidery. My thread was breaking so frequently, I took the thread and project down to my dealer, thinking it might be an adjustment on the machine that was causing this. He barely tugged on the thread between his hands and it broke - was just old thread. I bought new thread of the same brand and color and it worked fine. Also, I always use a metallic needle or topstitch needle for my embroidery. The eyes are larger and the metallic needles are coated within the eye to more easily facilitate the thread traveling through, or so I have heard.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Wow! that is just gorgeous.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM

I use the Superior brand metallic thread and don't experience nearly the issues you are having. The bobbin thread is coming up because, at this point, you have loosened the top tension a little too much. The weight of the top thread needs to be the same weight as the bottom thread....if that helps. I also tend to take the speed of the machine a little slower when using the metallics. Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM

Cant help w/thread problem...but that really is pretty...love it...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM

I have used mettalic thread in quilting and found that if I loosened the top tension just a hair it doesn't pull on the thread as hard. also if you stop and allow it to untwist then restart like you dowith hand embroidery thread this will help also, as it gets kinked up. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Sorry you are having problems and I'll be of no help but I wanted to say what an absolutely gorgeous spread this will be. The colors are luscious!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

beautiful creation
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Hi, I have never worked with metallic thread but just watched a video by Wendy Butler Bernes and she said that you need to start slowly each time you stop or pause. Appears the thread breaks if your speed is too fast. Also said the bobbin needs to be wound slowly and the thread spool in a straight up position . She uses 80/12 needle Micro sharp Schmetz.
Hope this helps
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM

I was told to use a regular thread yellow or gold color along with the metallic thread & it would help keep it from breaking.
It might be worth a try.