Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not Quite a Beginner Wanting to Improve >

Not Quite a Beginner Wanting to Improve

Not Quite a Beginner Wanting to Improve

Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Not Quite a Beginner Wanting to Improve

I'm making my fifth quilt, so I'm not completely inexperienced. The quilts I've made have been log cabin and baby quilts with straight panels.

What would be the next step for me? What other patterns are there that aren't a huge jump in skill, but will help me improve?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Have you looked at www.quilterscache.com ? It has all of the blocks labeled by skill level. That might be a good starting spot.

Another suggestion would be www.quiltinaday . Look at their block party videos. You might find blocks on there you could use to make your own version of a block of the month.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM

You've made a log cabin, so you're doing pretty good - I've never made one but it's on my list. You might want to try a Bento Box (my avatar). It also uses strips of fabric but you can change up the colors to match within each large block or oppose each other. When I made my first one I'd get up at 2am to run to my design wall and move a few of the smaller blocks around and then do it all again the next morning. You can make it with planned fabrics or as a scrappy.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Check out the tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Most are easy, but look more complicated than they are. I love the Double Slice Layer Cake quilt. They usually use precuts, but you can use your own fabrics. Here is a link to their site.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/

This link on the Moda Bakeshop site will explain what is in the different precuts (usually - when purchasing, check the qty as they might vary by brand).

http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/weights-and-measures.html
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 PM

I love to do samplers. You can try different techniques without totally committing to a whole quilt with a super easy or hard block. You can try different techniques too. I would pick a size like 12.5 inches unfinished and google for block patterns
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Have you tried any applique? I did some raw edge applique and I loved it. I can't wait to do more.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM

A sampler would be my choice. Check out the links others have suggested and make one block of each pattern. Put them together with sashing in between and you have a beautiful quilt!! I actually prefer to make samplers because I tend to get bored making the same blocks over and over....