Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM

I am 21 years old and I love quilting! I made my first quilt for my then boyfriend, now husband when I was still in high school. He fully supports my quilting

I don't care if people look at me funny because I quilt. I quilt because it brings so much joy to my life! I can't wait to get home from working as a full-time nurse so that I retreat to my happy-fabric-haven!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM

[h=3] I'm34 and just started. Hubby, two kids & two dogs keep me from sewing as much as I would like, but I squeeze it in when I can! Oh, there is that thing called a full time job too! 😄[/h]
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM

I am 43 and only learned how to quilt 2 years ago
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Wish I could lie and say I am under 40, but God would know.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM

There are heaps of young ones out there! Just well hidden - at the uni where I work we have a monthly lunch time group which started out with staff but now a lot of the post grad students are coming along and interestingly we have an engineering student who has started 'playing' around with graph paper a potential designer??? We are hoping to exhibit some of their work late next year! My kids.... Love and admire and want/need to have the latest quilt but don't quilt.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

If loving needlework makes me old, then I guess I'm ancient. I started learning to sew before I started school. I learned to knit and crochet in the 5th grade. My DDs think that was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth! I didn't make my first quilt till is was 39 and even THAT was a few years ago. My best quilting friend is in her 70s and I am the one who got her hooked just a couple of years ago. You are never too young, or too old, to take up a new hobby or learn a new skill. And you get to meet the greatest people!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 PM

I'm 23 and am finishing up my first quilt. Technically I started when I was 22, I've had a birthday in the few months I've been a quilter haha! Like many said, sometimes people think it's "quirky" or what have you that I have gotten into it so young - but mostly my peers are really impressed because they know how much work it is. I love it so much and I can't wait to finally have this one done!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM

I guess I have been old all my life. I started quilting in college, (Loooooooooooooooong ago) and knitting and crocheting. Nobody has called me old, they seemed to like what I turned out. They just don't know what they are missing.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM

We have a small quilt show in our area and one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen was designed by an engineer in that group. Smart and creative are not mutually exclusive!
Originally Posted by SandiGrove View Post
There are heaps of young ones out there! Just well hidden - at the uni where I work we have a monthly lunch time group which started out with staff but now a lot of the post grad students are coming along and interestingly we have an engineering student who has started 'playing' around with graph paper a potential designer??? We are hoping to exhibit some of their work late next year! My kids.... Love and admire and want/need to have the latest quilt but don't quilt.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM

I am 21 and teaching myself to quilt little by little! I'm halfway through my first quilt and am learning quite a bit!