Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just finished an inventory.  EEK! >

Just finished an inventory. EEK!

Just finished an inventory. EEK!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 AM

What a great collection - can't wait to see your before/after pics! I only have 7 vintage, but want to add a 301 to my stable...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 AM

Yikes! You really are a collector. Nosey question - do you use all of them?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 AM

Wow that many sewing machines! I have all I can do to keep one up and running.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Yikes! You really are a collector. Nosey question - do you use all of them?
No. I want to have them all working eventually but I don't for a minute think they'll all be used. As I get them cleaned/repaired/adjusted we'll figure out which ones will be working machines and which will be the main collection (and which might be passed on to new homes.)

One of the turning points for us was admitting that we were collecting rather than just acquiring user machines. At that point we gave ourselves permission to get machines for which we have no legitimate need but that we want for other reasons. So, while the 48k, 13, New National, 28, etc... work fine they aren't likely to see much use during our custodianship.

Scanning the inventory it looks like at least 15 of the machines a good to go right now, and possibly as many as 20 of them. Most of the others probably only need basic servicing but a few will require some serious work to get the fully up to speed.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Now we need pics, or they don't exist. :P
I've actually wondered if I should go ahead and post pictures of all of them on the main picture thread so they're all together but it seems a waste of resources considering they've all been posted on other threads before.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM

I have 6 vintage machines and one modern Pfaff. My husband keeps asking what I am going to do with all of them. I tell him I sew on them. lol. I bought a featherweight first, then found a black 301 at a flea market, then I found a 15-91 in a cabinet and a beige 301a at antique shops. I found a 99-13 and cabinet on Craigslist. The motor wasn't any good so I bought another 99-13 for parts--it came in the bottom of a bentwood case but I felt it was too good to use for parts so now I am buying parts to fix both of them. Then I found a rusted 66 at an antique shop--it was only $12.00 so I bought it. It was froze up but I was able to free it up and it cleaned up nicely. I am thinking about buying a 500 I saw at a local flea market. I need to find a place to put it, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM

I currently have 5 and two are plastic fantastic... So in reality I only have 3. But I have super limited room since I'm still living at home. If theres an extra spot I have room in my collection for a straight stitch treadle. Most likely a singer.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

I stopped counting around 60. I think I'm at around 75 or so at the moment. Would have been one more but I got sniped last night at the last second on a gorgeous Willcox & Gibbs. That was going to be my christmas present.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM

I have at least 40 machines and yes I'm a collector but need to thin the herd to make DH a bit happier and give some family room space. I have some that I have no idea, beyond getting running again, what I'm going to do with some of them and do need to determine how many treadles a girl actually needs. Currently, I have 7, I think, and all need work but I also have some other e-machines that I am not sure if they even work.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM

I think I counted eight in my collection - a White tredle (belong to my great grandmother and given to me by my grandmother before she passed about 30 years ago), a Singer tredle (given to me by a friend) a Singer 66 (belonged to my mother-in-law), two Featherweights, a Pfaff (not sure of the model, but computerized), a Janome that I keep at our beach house, a Janome 6600 (I sew on this all the time - won it on a quilt shop hop) a White Rotary (purchased at a yard sale this past summer for $40) and my Gammill Longarm - oops I count ten!!!