Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Fear >

Rotary Cutter Fear

Rotary Cutter Fear

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM

If you can take a basic rotary cutting class from your local quilt shop, that would be very beneficial. I had been cutting with a rotary over three years and still got tips from the class. It was worth it for me.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM

You are right to be cautious about cutting...the suggestion of practicing on something like an old sheet is a great one...practice on that until you are comfortable with the cutter and rulers, folding fabric etc.

Another suggestion would be going into a quilt store and asking for a demo...or to take a beginner class.

I remember how scared I was of my rotary cutter when I first got it...back when they first came out....no one I knew had one to show me how to use it. It sat in a drawer for months until I finally got brave enough to take it out and try it. It is certainly a tool that has revolutionized the quilting world!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...rotary-cutter/
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Rotary cutters and mats are wonderful. So much faster and straighter than scissors. I still love scissors for cutting out curved clothing patterns, but for quilting I use the rotarys... Missouri Star Quilt Company has tons of videos on quilting shortcuts and cute projects, and you will see her use rotary cutters exclusively. Watch some of those and it will boost your confidence.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM

You asked if there is a book that gives good rotary cutting instructions. I used Better Homes & Gardens' Complete Guide to Quilting to teach myself how to use the cutter. It even gives left hand instructions. All with illustrations, of course.

I now keep a roll of double sided tape in my notions box to put on rulers and templates for slipping.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

There is no rule that says you MUST cut more than one layer at a time.

If you are cautious - it might take a bit longer to cut only one or two layers at a time, but it really is okay to do that.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Two things I would recommend. I have four different quilting rulers and the best one is the Omnigrip, not Omnigrid, but Omnigrip. It really doesn't slip and buying the rotary blade sharpener is a good investment.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM

You need to make a lap quilt or something small with some older fabric and when you get braver use the rotary to make a larger something, and braver, braver and before you know it, you are on the march. LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 05:22 PM

I, like you, was worried about using the rotary cutter, and I avoided it at first....having my sister cut my fabric for me. I got braver, bit by bit, and realized it just took practice. What also helped me is the June Taylor Shape Cutter, which cuts strips that are straight...or at least mine were...even when I was a beginner. I couldn't cut out fabric for a quilt without it. It is so handy for more than strips. For example, cutting four inch squares is easy....cut a four inch strip..or three of them at once, and then turn the ruler and cut four inches again.

At any rate, if I can get comfortable with a rotary cutter, you can. (and I have no eyesight in one eye....) I have been quilting for a little over 3 years.

Good luck. With a little experience, you will become confident. You can do this.

Dina
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Leah Day has a tutorial on her sight that shows you how to straighten the folded fabric for cutting so that you are on grain when you make that first cut. I think you can find her by typing Leahday.com.