Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM

LOL I won't be able to join- because I only work from my stash- which keeps growing because as soon as I donate my quilts to Linus or nursing homes- God sends someone to me with more! I have not bought fabric in more than 3 years!
To those of you who are ridding yourself of unwanted fabrics- consider donating to local quilt guilds or other organizations that do charity quilts.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM

I am in! My fabric stash is getting ridiculous and I have been more conservative in purchasing fabric the past 2 months (buying only what I think I need but I really could have done without!) hopefully this challenge will keep me on track!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Count me in too. I read all the posts but don't often chime. Thanks to all the posts from everyone. I have learned so much. Thank you. I have only been quilting for about three years but have accumulated way too much. A lot has been given to me too so I will tie my hands when I go to the local quilt shop for supplies. Boo hoo
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM

First, I said "Yes" I can do this. Then I said, I really like fabric, color, the fun of dreaming about that specific project and decided life is short and this choice is good - I am not buying anything destructive or harmful. It gives me pleasure. I am being more selectivre buying quality, less often, and trying to complete more projects. Now is the time to do charity quilts and find BALANCE.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm in. What is the penalty if we fall off the cutting table?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 AM

I am so doing this...Have oodles of fabric...Over 20 bins and I've stopped buying unless for backing and the rules as stated. Working on one now but I had all the fabric from 2007. But heck, I go back to feed sacks and fabric from way back also. Just inherited all the older fabric but sewed since the 50's and really got into quilting big time in the late 70's. Have had many quilts in quilt shows and won lots of ribbons. Trouble is I had such a love of fabric from the late 40's when I worked in the fabric area of Newberry's and learned to sew in high school.. Anyone remember that store where fabric was cut with little notches with a yardage machine like and then ripped. I still rip fabric and it is always on the grain. I know lots of quilters, including teachers and quilt shops go nuts with this. Did you ever buy a wider piece of backing for a quilt so there were no seams and they just cut it...well, I did and it was so crooked when they cut it that I had to find a shop that would rip and there was no problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM

I'll join BUT I can't promise not to do the garage sale thingy. Can I still join?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM

As soon as the yardage I just ordered arrives, I'll join you.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Please sign me up and send reminders. I did this a few years ago. It took me a few months, but I stopped buying fabric, for awhile. I need to do this. Great idea. Thanks for doing this.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 AM

I do ALMOST agree. What happens to the economy of the fabric stores? We are so sad when one closes but we have to support them if we want them to stay in business. How about using your stash for more donation quilts/pillow cases/ place mat gifts, since we all have so much? People who have so much can afford to give to charities and support small stores as well. You don't have to go overboard but help to keep our LQSs in business. This isn't said with any sarcasm. It is said trying to be generous and supportive. Thanks for listening.