Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm joining this as well. It has become uncontrollable in my sewing room. I think I even have enough fabrics for backings.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
Count me in too. I have such a stash that I probably won't live long enough to use it up!!!! I'll only buy batting or a special fabric to finish a project. Cross my heart.....
I'm singing this same song. I've been doing this for the past year and haven't put much of a dent in my stash. I did purchase an assortment of thread and a few backing fabrics and that was it. It really helps that the quality of the available fabrics has greatly diminished from those in my stash.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Me too!!! I recently sorted my stash and was AMAZED at how much fabric I had! Not enough time to sew last year, like many of you, and now I'm flat out of room! NO MORE FABRIC THIS YEAR!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM

I'm with you too. In fact I haven't been to the fabric stores after Thanksgiving although I was aching to go out and shop. I have a lot of stash too and I'm not sure if I will be able to use it all while I'm alive. But of course, I always say, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't party and I grow my own nails, so I deserve it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Count me in! I really was not a fabric buyer. I started quilting to get rid on fabric left from my and my sisters' clothes sewing from the 40's and on. I started with a bushel basket full. LOL I haven't bought much over the years, but have had a lot given to me. Now I make confetti quilts and crumb quilts, so people give me their "waste baskets".
This last year our Ben Franklin store closed, and they started with 25% off. I bought nothing. But once they got to 50% I bought a few things and at 70% a few more. I resisted 90% off because I was going to go in for bag day on the last day. I went there, and the there were lines out the door, and the fabric was swept off the tables by the armload. I left.
The only time I really buy something I don't need is if I look at the remnant rack and find something that catches my eye. I have plenty for backs, even if it doesn't always match, and we get some backing free from our local factory that makes quilts and draperies for hotels. If it's too thick, I split the layers, and it works.
I just have to make a promise to finish up at least a few of my UFO's.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM

I have been trying this for several years - sometimes more successful than others. Most of the fabric I have bought this year has been to finish quilts that are scrappy to begin with. I have purchased a stash of plaids/stripes ($2/lb. at a yard sale) to make a quilt that I have been drooling over, but if I have $30 into it with shirts I purchased at Goodwill for their fabric I would be surprised. I am lucky that I LOVE scrappy quilts so make lots of them.

I went to a quilt show with some friends this spring and they all walked out with oodles of things they bought - fabric, patterns, kits, etc. I walked out with a fat quarter for a project I was working on. How? My rule of thumb is not to buy fabric just because I like it - it has to have a project in mind - no more patterns, I have 1,000's of them and will never make all of them - no kits unless it's a project I plan on doing in the next 90 days - these rules really keep those impulse buys to a minimum.

I love Bonnie K. Hunter's website (quiltville.com) because she has many free patterns using scraps. I have several of her books and her directions are vey easy to follow. I now cut up my leftovers into her 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 inch squares and always have some ready to sew into any kind of project. Some of them end up as nine patches on the backs of scrappy quilts - if you use some of your scraps on the back you have larger pieces of backing to use in other quilts (sometimes enough for that outside border/binding).

I also save my binding ends by adding each new one to the last one, I have quite a large roll going right now and it is all ready to sew onto my next scrappy quilt.

I saw a quilt made from "crumbs" - whatever they are - so I am hunting for my interfacing to use as a foundation and I am looking at that container of scraps next to my machine that seriously needs to be reduced.

There are so many scrap quilts that I would love to make and not enough time.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM

You can count me in as well. 2 weeks ago I decided to go through all my fabrics and cut a FQ from each piece. I got to 267 FQ's before I decided it was way to much trouble and stopped. The good thing is, I now have a good idea of what fabrics I do have (most of are 2-3yd pieces) and I don't have to unpack everything to know what there. I did sort by color when I put them away so it will be easier to find just what I want when I need to as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM

I thought and thought (probably for a full minute) and I can't conifers. I don't have an over abundance of fabric. Just enough. Maybe someday. Good luck to y'all that do it.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm in..have only been collecting for two years, but recently my oldest son brought home two cabinets that a friend was giving away. He thought I would like them. While moving things around I was amazed at how big my stash was. The only thing I really need is some muslin now and then and maybe some batting.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM

'Well, I don't really have a 'stash' built up at all, so I need to spend this coming year build it up so I can participate next year, right? Unless of course some of you ladies need to 'clean out' your stash, if so PLEASE PM me first with what you have and prices, I seem to get to the 'thrift store' on here AFTER everything is already sold.
I'd LOVE to buid up my stash. so KMW what you have, okay?
Thanks,