Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate" >

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate"

Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks, everyone! :D

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Eddie....I am impressed with any man that takes on quilting as there seems to be somewhat of a social stigma that quilting is only for women. I love seeing your quilts...you really do wonderful work.
Thanks, Pzazz, and your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! No ugliness there at ALL!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I just went back and looked at your beginning picture again, and I just can't figure out what there was that made this ugly to you.
SO, I am looking at the pattern, and I am seeing a nine patch, some four patches, and then white bar ... and, I am thinking:
Was it the construction instructions that got you all flustered?
I had a chance once to help someone make a quilt with a pattern from 1976 ... I didn't work with it about fifteen minutes and thought:
Lord! If this had been my first introduction to quilting, I would NEVER have bothered!
Today, I am still appalled by some of the "old" instructions people use to confound the beginner ... I get the template and all of the hardest way .. but, whatever did anyone do to deserve being punished like that? <g>
Anyway, if you made this quilt again, Eddy, would you construct it the same way that the instructions led you to in the first place?
Could the construction have created your mindset?
I think it was a combination of the construction which wasn't going well (points not matching) and the style of a lot of the fabric. I like some of the fabric, but a lot of it just looked weird to me after working with it for a while. I think if I had picked a different fabric, I could have toughed out the wonky points.

The method I used from the book was strip piecing, where the jelly roll strips are sewn together as a 5 strip unit. Those 5 strip units are then cut into smaller strips and these smaller strips are then sewn together to form the blocks. I think a lot of my problem was with the jelly roll strips themselves and their pinked edges (which I really don't like). For some reason, the Moda strips and and layer cakes I've worked with are measured to the center point of the pinking, meaning that the true "edge" of the piece falls between the valley and peak of the pinking. That's a very minute thing, but it makes a difference over several seams. So I think that was throwing me off.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
HI Eddie, I happen to love the quilt..however I am more concerned that this became your first UFO?? :shock: Does that mean it is your only one? and if so can you a give tutorial on how to manage that? :lol:
Well, I don't think I've had enough time to accumulate a lot of UFOs yet, LOL. I started quilting back in May of this year, so I'm sure I'm going to accumulate many more in the years ahead. :D
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Joining the heralding of the ugly quilt. It's a beauty. I love the squares and the colors.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM

I left your explanation below, but, are you absolutely sure that the center point measures from the valley in? My thinking is it might be on one side, but not on the others. If you have any scraps left, try this: Fold the pinked edges together, and I am betting that the peaks do not line up perfectly with each other ... although, mechanical tools could accomplish what we couldn't <g> ... now, I am just curious! LOL
I may be talking way out of turn here, but the points are the outer edge of the block because of the pinking. When fabric is pinked, it doesn't unravel like a regularly cut fabric...
that is just a thought. I could be wrong.
Now that the quilt is so beautifully completed, it is probably a mute point.
Another thing to consider is: if you are sewing strips together, and you always start at the same end, the fabric starts bowing ... and, I have taken a tip from Eleanor Burns, and I have started cutting strips in half rather than sewing the entire length from selvege to selvege. For whatever reason, the bow becomes more pronounced if you are working with complete lengths.

The method I used from the book was strip piecing, where the jelly roll strips are sewn together as a 5 strip unit. Those 5 strip units are then cut into smaller strips and these smaller strips are then sewn together to form the blocks. I think a lot of my problem was with the jelly roll strips themselves and their pinked edges (which I really don't like). For some reason, the Moda strips and and layer cakes I've worked with are measured to the center point of the pinking, meaning that the true "edge" of the piece falls between the valley and peak of the pinking. That's a very minute thing, but it makes a difference over several seams. So I think that was throwing me off.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM

I cot some spare pieces out and took some pics with a metal mechanical ruler on them. This first one shows a Moda jelly roll strip measured from side to side. You can see that the left zero mark is on the peak of the pinking while the right 2.5" mark ends up in the valley of the pinking. The peak on the right side comes out at about 1/16" more, so is like 2 and 9/16".

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/.../Pinked_01.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a charm sqaure that comes out at 5 and 1/16":

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/.../Pinked_02.jpg[/IMG]

And a layer cake square that comes out at 10 and 1/16":

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/.../Pinked_03.jpg[/IMG]

If you're mixing pre-cut pieces like this with yardage cuts then it can cause things to be off if you're assuming the pre-cuts are exactly what they should be. I've even gone so far as to cut the pinking off 2 sides of charm and layer squares to get them to a true sizing. But that's a pain when you have to do it on 40 pieces.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Wow! Eddie, that is a gorgeous quilt. I love the colors and the pattern.

Nice thing to know about buying jellyrolls and such that are pinked. Thanks. I know what you mean about cutting the pinked edges. My sis and I have some strips that were donated that were pinked. I cut off the pinking, and it is time consuming.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM

I love it.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Yep! I see what you have to deal with ... and, I was right in figuring that it was in the valley on one side and at the peak on the other one.
Too much fussy, I can see.
<g> but, I like the quilt and am very glad that you finally finished it.
Good show!
You have done a few of those quilts out of the jelly roll book, haven't you? I don't remember - - is this the first time you have had this kind of problem?
(nothing obsessive about me <g>) ....
maybe I should just leave it at:
Good show!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM

what ugly quilt? there are no ugly quilts just like there are no ugly babies.
please don't underestimate yourself. remember we are our own worst critic. we should not listen to ourselves. listen to those around us. they are the critics. and our friends will not let us down!!!
please visit my blog: richbrot.blogspot.com