Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Did you have a special code sent via email for this? I want all the snowmen designs that they have right now on special! I really, really like them. http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Sale.aspx
They are having another sale right now; codes are Merry5 and Bright5; one is 5 for 5 and the other is 5 off of $10; each can be used 3 times on separate orders. so if you get the 5 for 5 you have to use the code and then check out and then place your next order and enter which code you want. You have to do this even if you could do both codes with one order; it'll only take one at a time. Enjoy
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 PM

I used the code for emblibrary and I got some cute xmas designs. May order more before it expires.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 AM

I think the easiest way to split a design is by color. On your snowman, I would probably have split it after the green scarf. In Embird, I run the sew simulator and that will usually give me a good idea where to split. If you can separate all colors on your software and then re-group them into 2 or 3 sections. I have split designs into several sections when I had a smaller hoop. Did the Wolf-Eagle (from Emb. Library) jacket back on a 5x7 hoop. I think I had six different splits. Check to see if there are tutorials for your software, Hugs.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Hi everyone! I have been away from Quilting Board for quite a while. I have a question about embroidery thread. I purchased the new Singer XL550 and it should be coming next week just in time for Christmas. However, I know nothing about machine embroidery. What type of thread and stabilizers should I purchase first? Should I use polyester or cotton? Maderia, Sulky or what about Connecting Threads? HELP! My first projects will probably be simple towels, easy Christmas presents. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sherry from Eastern NC

Last edited by quiltnmom; 12-02-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM

quiltinmom,
Congratulations on your new machine! Most of us use different threads and some machines do well with some and not others, yes they do have their own temperament. I use sulky and madeira but I am looking for the Isacord. Sometimes the Sulky will break on me and at times it has to do with the tension. Joanns always has sales on Sulky for 1/2 off and i think they're going to have their next sale this week for that price. I'd purchase a few mostly primary colors and choose a simple design to see how it reacts to the thread. Also remember to change your needle often well at least I do. Good luck! Oh and as for stabilizers if you are using terry cloth towels you will need a water soluble stabilizer for the top and depending on the density of the stitches in the design will depend on the type of stabilzier you would use in the back. i'm more than sure there is someone on here who could answer this question! Again Good Luck and Happy Embroidering!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM

quiltinmom, I just checked to see if Craftsy had any classes and they don't. There are some youtube videos on machine quilting. I didn't take time to watch any to see if they would be of help. Embroidery thread comes in rayon or polyester. They are considered 40wt thread but have a nice shine to them. There is also a 12wt cotton thread that makes a heavy dense design. Unless you need the design to show on both sides a bobbin thread which is much thinner is used. Pre-filled bobbins are nice to use. Depending on the size of your pattern you will use 1 or maybe 2 bobbins. You will learn which stabilizer to use. Some projects use cut away, some use tear away and like quiltnut4ever said water soluble on things like terry towels. Some projects might require 2 layers of stabilizer or stabilizer on both sides. What size hoops did you get with your machine? I ordered my first thread off the internet. It was called FUFU and I really like it but I think they got bought out by another company. I have ordered from this place. http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?...ory&path=20_27
I hardly ever hoop my projects. I hoop the stablelizer and use temporary spray adhesive and position the project.
Good luck, have fun with your new machine. I've had my machine for awhile so there may be some better ways of doing things than how I was taught.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM

I have quilting on the brain, I meant machine embroidery. LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=quiltnmom;5693247]

Congratulations on your machine; be careful, it's addicting. I've been embroidering for a little over a yr and started off with a Viking Ruby (loved it) and just traded it in for the Viking Diamond Deluxe (a deal to good to pass on). I take classes and if you can find them it would be great. Some stores will let you take thier classes no matter what machine you have; mine does. Also I know that Tidewater Sew n Vac has a club and you can learn alot from places like that.

When it comes to stabilizers I read everything that I can. Emblibrary.com has tutorials on thread, needles and stabliziers also floriani has a stabilizer workbook you can print out. I like thier stabilizers but the main thing you need to know is the type and when to use it more than the brand. Viking and most machine websites have tutorials on these as well. You can also google them. I'm not sure what you have in your area but if you sign up at Tidewater sew n vac or at floriani you can find when they have classes and you can learn alot. I took one a few months ago that cost me 30 for the day, it included lunch and snack and I got almost 600 in free thread, designs and stabilizers. Here is the link for the stabilizer guide; http://www.rnkdistributing.com/cid-3...-Products.html
My machines use all thread and that's good because for what I paid for the machines I'd be really upset if it wouldn't take a certain thread. It takes a while to build up thread and I don't think I'll ever have all that I want. Sears sells Robinson-Anton on its website for 3.99 which is good and has lots of colors. I would try different ones to see if your machine likes it and if you like it. Plus, I normally buy at least two shades of each color because Ive noticed most designs use at least two shades for highlighting and accents.

Hope this helps
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM

I have rayon embroidery thread and after doing some research I wasn't aware of polyester embroidery thread. I hear they do not break as much and are intact for high speed embroidery. I usually leave my stitch speed at the lowest but does anyone know who makes polyester embroidery thread other than Madeira? i don't know of Isacord but I'd like to know what others use.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM

does anyone know who makes polyester embroidery thread other than Madeira? I/ve bought from 'Designs by Sick'--they have the Brother colors. I've also bought from ebay, and from metroemb.com. Poly sews better than rayon, in MyO.