Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So I guess those rotary blades ARE sharp afterall!! >

So I guess those rotary blades ARE sharp afterall!!

So I guess those rotary blades ARE sharp afterall!!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Been there, done that! Nearly took the end off my middle finger. Of course it was on a Saturday so a trip to ER was necessary. Dr did a fantastic job and sewed the cut nail down too so it wouldn't leave a ridge. 5 stitches later I was on my way home! Other than being numb you can't see where it was cut. Dr was so impressed, she said it was a very neat, clean cut! Was squaring up 6.5 inch squares and finger hung over the edge! Learned another lesson that day!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by margee View Post
When first quilting the lady at the LQS told me that the rotary cutter blad was "Go to the hospital sharp" I try to make sure that the guard is on when I set it down. Also, I bend back my index finger a bit and check placement before i start cutting. I have nicked the ruler a few times. And oh yes, I have sewn thru my finger at least twice with the sewing machine needle. And just recently I was using the walking foot and got my thumb too close and slice off part of tip of my thumb. Now that hurt. Don't think I have ever moved so fast. Scared my cat and dog too.

I shouldn't say this but the last part of your post made me laugh! I pictured in my mind you jumping out of your chair and the poor cat and dog fleeing the scene!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

I had a young sewing student last year whom I warned about using a rotary cutter: "this is the most dangerous tool you'll ever use sewing. You can permanently injure yourself with this....". I then demonstrated the proper use of the rotary cutter: "Make sure your hand is on your ruler like this....look carefully again before you start cutting....always cut only away from yourself...". I hovered right next to him as he made a few careful and successful cuts, and then from about three feet away I watched him position his hand so the cutter was going to run right over his thumb for sure. Luckily I was able to make a grab of his ruler hand just in time. We stuck to scissors after that.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I did this a couple of years ago - after using a rotary cutter for almost 25 years. Took a trip to the ER and 8 stitches. I don't have a glove because all of them I have looked at are just too large for me to use safely.

Side note, I always sew barefoot but I now cut with shoes on after dropping my rotary cutter on my foot. The blade was closed because I am super careful about that but I could see the potential. I know many won't agree but injuries to my hands don't bother me much because I have so many. My feet are a different story.
I go barefoot too. I think there is better control of the foot petal if you do.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM

I did the exact same thing ab out a month ago, my index finger is still numb-i THINK I should have gotten stitches. But never heard of the glove-might need to check into that one
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM

I cut the side of my thumb once, so bad I had to go to the emergency room for stitches. I was using one of the older slide the guard up Olfa cutters. I now use the curved version that automatically retracts.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 AM

You can buy finger guards for your rulers here:-

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/P...Catalogue.html
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM

My sister and I friend of mine cut their left forefingers almost identically 2 weeks apart... I'm not going to say it hasn't happened to me yet cause I don't want to jinx myself!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM

I have the oven glove and often wondered if that would work. You use it instead of pot holder. They only cost $5.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM

ask for the accuquilt Go instead. More expensive but safer