Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM

WHOA!! I am the ranking lil ole lady!! I am 56 and have been sewing ,quilting, crocheting, knitting and hand embroidering longer than I have been alive!!! tee hee I make some of my own patterns and teach anybody who wants to learn...My niece whm I taught is 36 and my best friend in Junior high said I was a lil ole lady with all my handwork...we were 13 years old at the time!! go figure!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Speaking of family quilting stories... would any of you guys like to share yours?!! I will go first: both of my grandmothers quilted and my paternal grandmother once told me "Sally Ann,(not my real name but Granny could not pronounce my real name) every woman should make her aprons with 2 pockets: one to keep a bit of hand work in and the other to hold your snuff!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Way to go Girl!!! hooray foryou guys!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM

I'm 54 but I don't think I'm "old" most days....
I started quilting in my late twentys but when I was 10 I was taking knitting lessons with my mother and I would sit on the front porch in a lawn rocker practicing UNTIL our neighbor called me "granny" I put the needles down and I still don't know how to knit.
I have a friend who started quilting when she was 7 or 8 and still quilts with her mother....
Most fiber arts are "old" entertainment but I know children like learning traditional art forms...quilting is art.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm 46...quilting for a wee bit more than 2 yrs...but sewing since I could sit up at Mom's sewing machine. I have 3 daughters...soon to 25, 8, and recently turned 6. The oldest one...not even a bit of interest in any type of sewing (except hand embroidery, which she does rarely) the two little ones...they LOVE LOVE LOVE to sew, and refer to some special folks here on the board as Quilting Aunties, and Uncles. They always ask about them and all of "your Quilting People Friends". They love to come online with me and look at all the pretty pretty things. Then they usually go sit down with pencil and paper and draw quilts they'd like to make one day. Sooo, I don't think they think quilting makes me look old...but my almost 25 yr old does. Doesn't stop her from placing Mom can you make orders though LOL. Kids...go figure :lol:
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM

I am 42 and have love quilting forever.

I crochet and knitted since I was like 15 yrs old. We couldn't afford a sewing machine or else I would have sewed and quilted back then too.

Art is ageless

Tracy
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Well, I am certainly past 40 a bit. Seems like I've been sewing/quilting a long time. I sewed clothes for a number of years starting in school. Didn't start as a young child like so many on here, Mom wouldn't let me touch her machine even though she didn't enjoy sewing. Then I fell in love with the Georgia Bonesteel Lap-quilting program bought her book. Crazy thing is I made the blocks but piece the whole top then sandwiched it. I didn't do it lap quilt style, :lol: Sadly I am a slow quilter so I haven't gotten a large number done. But I trying to improve. I am fond of the pieceing & applique more than the quilting part but I think that is because I don't think I am that good at the actual quilting. I think I could do that better if I had a long arm or even a mid-arm. I used a friends long arm machine once and did pretty good too. :-)
Old 10-22-2009, 05:01 AM

No one in my family really sewed. My Mom tried once a few times. Once she made my Dad a pair of boxers and when he stood up they fell off. My Grandma wore them. I remember she made me a dress once. My Grandma crochet. Mom had babies. I am the oldest of 11.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Well, I don't qualify as under 40; I missed it by 4 years. My wife is under 40 though, so she counts. We have been quilting as a team for about 2 years. We have lots of tops finished, but haven't started quilting them yet. I can't wait to post some pictures of finished products!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM

I'm 28 and only a few times have I been accused of being an "old lady" because I quilt.

But, I do find myself drawn to different/more modern patterns and fabrics than some of the more seasoned people I know who quilt. I dont know if that is an age thing or a personality thing, though.

Kristy