Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does a newbie ask Santa for? >

What does a newbie ask Santa for?

What does a newbie ask Santa for?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM

I love my big board the best. It is very useful. I have it on the top of my ironing board that raises and lowers and it sits right by my sewing machine.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM

A quilting class or gift cards to your favorite quilt shop.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM

one of everthing in the Quilting notions department
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I would add a good pair of scissors, like a pair of dressmaker scissors, as well as a smaller scissors, like embroidery to use when trimming threads, and some like to hang the scissors around their neck so it's always available. I say I'm going to do that, but so far I haven't but a good pair of scissors is essential.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM

I cannot quilt without my Martelli non slip strip ruler. I cut all of my strips for every quilt I make with this ruler. I don't like paying for pre-cuts. I want to use the fabric I have in my stash. Check it out. I have the 24" AND if I am not mistaken, they are half price. They have very quick shipping too.

Last edited by fayzer; 12-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Good suggestions! I want to get Super Fine Glass head pins in the 1 7/8" size. You can iron over the heads (if you forget it's there, it won't melt) and there are some brands that are rated better for being super sharp and easy to work with. I bought the magnetic pin holder and think the pins that came with it are too thick and not very sharp.

If you are going to a lot of classes or working in a small space you may like a little iron. I bought a little Sunbeam at Target for $11 and it is nice when I'm doing small piecing. Usually I like hopping up to press items on the regular ironing board.

I'm talking about irons like these: http://www.epinions.com/Irons--store...thes+iron&sb=1
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM

A really good light is what I'd want! It will make the world of difference. Your eyes won't get as tired. A large square ruler, and a 6" by 12" ruler are ones that I use the most. But there are others out there that make grea gifts.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM

How about good lighting. I have a good table lamp and both my machines have good lights on them. Can't think of the quilting light which I don't have, but those who do have love 'em. It is especially for quilting.
I have one for each of my machines; you attach it to your machine and it can be slid for the width of seam you want/need' like 1/4" seam. I ordered mine online. Have the address if you need/are interested in it.
Mariah.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Elves to do your cutting for you!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Ruler you don't have. a good seam ripper with a lite. We all need to rip somtimes