• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Personal security alert button thingy >
  • Personal security alert button thingy

• Personal security alert button thingy

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
    Power Poster

Default Personal security alert button thingy

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=17771066

I have decided to get one of these. I'm usually out and about by myself and at home during the day with my infant grandson a lot. I have a cell phone but I don't have it within reach most times. I tripped and fell in my house last year and the phones were across the room. I was able to get up and sore for a while but it could have been otherwise. At first I thought this is for the very elderly who live alone and dismissed it as not for me. Now I think it's the greatest thing ever for anyone. Anyone have any experience with this product?
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM

Get it! Anyone who is over 50 and alone a lot should have a backup! We had a friend who lived 30 miles out, nearest neighbor 4 miles away and he in his 70s! He slipped on ice while going to feed his goats one morning and was about a football field away from the base unit. He pressed the button and said his prayers because he didn't think it would work. He had a GOOD unit! The neighbors were called and they went over, found him and said YES, IT'S REAL! Our friend had a broken hip. He is now OK, remarried after being widowed a couple of years and life is good.

You should do it for the fact that you take care of an infant frequently. It's not just you, but him also!! (As an aside, isn't it great having a grandbaby around?! We started "stealing" our when they reached about 18 months, and 15 years later we still "steal" them and go to museums, national parks, playgrounds, whatever.....
    Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM

I purchased a phone with a button that you wear around your neck for my dad from Radio shack it was 50.00 It will call two people and if they do not answer it goes to 911. Much cheaper than a life alert system. No monthly fees and it does work he has accidently called me twice when he leaned on it.
    Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

What I like about this one is no base unit or out of range. That is the most important feature for me.
    Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Our emergency/ambulance service has an alert system for our area that cost less than the Life Alert system. Check to see if your emergency/ambulance service has one before signing up for Life Alert.
    Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    What I like about this one is no base unit or out of range. That is the most important feature for me.
    I have been thinking about one of these. I ordered one last year that you had to set up in your house and a lot of things to do to get it ready to use and all that. I didn't even set it up - just sent it back. I've been seeing the ads for this one in the AARP magazine and it sounds like the way to go.
    Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM

They are great if you are willing to push the button. my mother had one for years, yet the few times when she fell and needed help she didn't use it. didn't want to risk being taken to hospital.
    also, after talking to a sheriff's deputy, he said you are better off calling 911 if you can because the response time is better.
    IMO, they are a good thing though.
    Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 PM
    Power Poster

Sounds like a great idea, if you remember to wear it. How much is the monthly service? If you don't pay for the monthly service, can you still use it to call 911?
    Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 AM

We have had two friends die...yes, DIE, because they fell and couldn't reach a phone and didn't have a gadget like this. The one died of dehydration after breaking her hip. She laid there for 3 days! What a painful death that must have been, and it could have been prevented.
    Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 AM

I have one an I say get it. It will go where you go .not like the other just at home. And a lot cheaper.