Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A machine for my wife >

A machine for my wife

A machine for my wife

Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How many people really travel with a sewing machine??? Mine sets in a cabinet waiting and ready at a moments notice.
Lots! Retreats, classes, vacationing, RVing, I travel for my job...lots of hotel room time sewing!

Sandy
Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Well, I just have to add my two cents worth here. It is great that lots of you like the FW's, Pfaff's and the like, but his wife needs to find one machine that fits her needs. When I first went to look for a new machine many moons ago, I went to a Sewing Machine & Vacumn Center that carried just about every brand out there. I sat and played with just about all of them. That gave me the feel for each brand, easy of operation and understanding of how they worked. I settled on the one that for me was easy to use, sewed nice and felt just right. There were other machines less expensive but my Janome 6004 & I just clicked. So that is what his wife needs to do, specially for a first time sewing machine, after a little experience she will know if she needs more in a machine. And that is all I have to say about that!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 AM

I agree with a lot of people on here. While I would love for my husband to even think of buying me a sewing machine for me for Christmas. It is very personal on what I would like on a machine. I would make her a coupon for a machine and let here play with machines and find the features she wants. Also "will you marry me." Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM

It is a very thoughtful of you to get her something she would want.
I agree with many of the ladies who mentioned to take her shopping. But before you do that, see if you can talk to some sewer/quilters in your area and ask who they would recommend. Some dealerships are super nice when they know they can make a sale but what about future customer service. Quilter's know... customer service is what you will really be paying for especially if you needing to take lessons, maintance, to simply learning how to take care of your machine.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Update 2: So the budget is set, I have talked to her mother and a few other and we are going to get her a family gift. This way we can give her enough to get a machine, a hand full of other basics, and maybe have enough left over to take a class or two depending on the cost. I have had so much great feedback from all of you. I have to say I was a touch nervous posting on the board with zero knowledge of machines or quilting but you have all dispelled that and I can't wait to keep you posted on the gift goes over and the machine she ends up buying!

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've been looking at the Baby Lock (Molly and Grace models) and Viking (100q and Emerald) as they are in the price range that I have set and are the brands my local shop (Erika's in South Bend) carry. So if any of you have hands on experience with these I humbly ask for any feedback. So between my wife's preference, you and the local's shop feed back, my wife will surely get the perfect machine to start her adventures in sewing.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM

What a lovely gift for your wife. But, instead of you purchasing the sewing machine for her, she needs to try out various machines from different manufacters. She needs to find a machine she is comfortable with. A Singer featherweight is a nice straight stitch machine, but, having a zigzag stitch is very useful to have and a featherweight won't do that. What kind of sewing will she be doing? Only quilting, or will she be doing home dec, garment sewing?
A basic sewing machine with at least a few different stitches would give more value to her purchase. Again, nice gift!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 AM

I have a featherweight and love it...I didn't sew either and my husband surprised me with an inexpensive brother
machine....I was so excited to get a sewing machine!! I am STILL using that machine many years later and have
upgraded...it isn't until you get your feet wet that you learn to swim.....look out tho...upgrades are expensive!!
You are such a sweetheart, and I love the "surprise" idea!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM

my husband bought me my first machine. My first serious machine was a Bernina 830, the original one, back in 1981. I love it, just have it , it sews wonderfully even after 7 kids, 4 wedding dresses and a couple of quilts. Sometimes you can find a really good deal on a top of the line machine that is older and has been traded in for a newer machine. Currently, if you can find them the 1980's 830, runs about $650.00. There is a 900 series one that is excellent as well. It is nice to have a machine with just a bit more than straight stitch on it especially if she might sew some household linens and/or clothes as well. I also have a Featherweight but i wouldn't want it as my only machine, not with what is available out there in good reliable high end used machines or a good basic new one. Kenmore makes a nice one, which is probably a Brother or a Singer under it all. Buy from a dealer if possible versus Walmart or even Sears, though Sears works if you need to use your Sears card.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM

I have a Featherweight 201 and never use it. I also have a brother. My opinion is to get her a Brother with decorative stitches for now so she can learn different things to make and it should be one with a needle treader and thread cutter. If you have a Sears store they also have a Kenmore and it lasted me for 40 years and my granddaughter is still using it.

Cookie64
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Default sewing machine store near goshen In

Hello
I did some research on the internet and found this store near you... plus has very good reviews from other sewers they sell bernina and other machines...plus some used ones... good warranty for 20 years and 2 free years of service... that is a great deal..
I have no affliation with this store I would recommend that you get one locally for your wife to take lessons on how to use her new machine...plus a store that does it own maintenance is wonderful...
Merry Christmas!
Quiltinmama