Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Personal security alert button thingy >

Personal security alert button thingy

Personal security alert button thingy

Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 AM

I have thought about something like this because I don't carry my cell with me all the time. I am hoping to have a miracle happen and I find a place I can live by myself. If I ever do I will most certainly have one of these.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
They are great if you are willing to push the button. my mother had one for years, yet the few times when she fell and needed help she didn't use it. didn't want to risk being taken to hospital.
also, after talking to a sheriff's deputy, he said you are better off calling 911 if you can because the response time is better.
IMO, they are a good thing though.
That's my thinking, too. If you can push the button, fine. But my father in law just fell and was unconscious. Luckily I just happened in to his home right after it happened, but an alert with a button to push would have been useless. If you really want something secure, is try to find one of those motion sensor ones that will alert someone, even if the victim can't call.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

It looks large to me....I think my cell phone is about that size.....just carry your cell phone!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:40 PM

My aunt wears one that is like a bracelet. It has saved her life a couple of times. Check around and see what's available in your area....stay safe!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM

My mom had one of the necklace kind but it bothered her when she went to bed so she took it off and put it on the
nightstand...then when she got up to use the bathroom she fell and layed there all night unable to move. She was in a retirement community bldg and they heard her cries for help in the morning. I'm all for this kind of devise and think they are great, maybe rethink the night version...a soft bracelet or something...
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Planning for the unexpected is just plain smart!

I have a very smart friend who simply made a pocket for her cell phone and put it on a strap around her neck. How simple was that?!

She got some funny looks and comments for awhile but now says she sees a lot of them at her senior activities :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM

My elderly neighbors have Life Alert. I am one of their 'Neighbors on Alert' - Two weeks ago, while home alone, the gentleman slipped out of his easy chair and could not get himself back up. He pressed his Life Alert button; they called me and I was able to help him back into his chair. His wife was out for much of the afternoon - he would have been stuck there for several hours if he didn't have this handy little item! (I should mention that I have keys to his house, too)
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Medicaid paid for the one I have that has a base station. I've got a SPOT for when I leave the house. I'm usually with my husband when I'm out but the cell we have has lousy reception, but hey, it's free. The SPOT is a personal locator beacon that connects to a global satilite. Haven't had to use either but it's good to have them "just in case"
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM

When our contract with a system (in home only) runs out we are going to get one of these also.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Get one it is well worth the money, especially if you are older and live alone. My cousin recommended it to me and stated that hers saved her life at least twice.