Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM

the big problem with money is it doesn't last-things(quilts) do. In my time on this earth I have lived thru hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, earthquakes, and tidal waves-the thought, time, energy and goodwill lasted a lot longer than the handouts from the government.
I have found that the givers are not aware of how the money gifts are being used. When we went thru a hurricane the Red Cross charged us for water and basics. We were not rich and were living in a mobile home at the time with a small child. No motel, no food, in a home with no electric, heat or water. The help we received from local volunteers was most appreciated. Giving with no strings-just because it is the right thing to do.
Sorry to burst your bubble-but unless you have been there - the best help is the help from the heart-the local and concerned citizens.- regardless of the government or large organized drives. And no I don't give to the Red Cross-as far as I am concerned they just add to the horror.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
the big problem with money is it doesn't last-things(quilts) do. In my time on this earth I have lived thru hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, earthquakes, and tidal waves-the thought, time, energy and goodwill lasted a lot longer than the handouts from the government.
I have found that the givers are not aware of how the money gifts are being used. When we went thru a hurricane the Red Cross charged us for water and basics. We were not rich and were living in a mobile home at the time with a small child. No motel, no food, in a home with no electric, heat or water. The help we received from local volunteers was most appreciated. Giving with no strings-just because it is the right thing to do.
Sorry to burst your bubble-but unless you have been there - the best help is the help from the heart-the local and concerned citizens.- regardless of the government or large organized drives. And no I don't give to the Red Cross-as far as I am concerned they just add to the horror.
My Dad never gave to the Red Cross. During WWII when they would come in town in France the Red Cross charged them for coffee, the Salvation Army gave them coffee to warm up with and donuts. I don't give to the Red Cross either....
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
i'm with Ghostrider on this one. while the intentions are good, I don't think it is the best idea. These people need to be left alone to grieve.
Even sending quilts to victims of natural disasters isn't really a help, money is.(sending "things" just makes the sender feel good).
Soooo not true. These people need a little something personal to hold onto and call their own. Last year I sent quilts to Vermont for the flood victims. I got wonderful thank yous. If you are left with nothing, having someone give you a gift that you can call your own for time eternal is a gift beyond words. Yes, money is needed too, but not all of us are financially able to send money. If all we can send is a dish rag to clean with, we at least feel like we have done our part to help.

I have been so blessed as to be able to be a part of providing quilts and other necessities for the New York City victims of the hurricane. People have been sending me quilttops from out west to finish. Dotcomdtcm and I so far have provided at least 50 quilts to those who need or want them. I don't have money to send, but I was given a "gift" in the ability to sew, and I feel it is my duty to do what I can with that gift.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau View Post
quiltmau,

AGREE ... IF people have never been through a natural (or man-made) disaster, they have NO IDEA of how our government and national charities TRULY operate.
When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston-Galveston area in 2008 (this was 3 YEARS AFTER Katrina and Rita) people got FAR more immediate and ACTUAL HELP from LOCAL city & county governments and church groups than from the Feds or Red Cross etc. We had utility linemen, construction workers and volunteers come from all over the US to donate their help. College students & churches helped with the elderly and disabled, and we who lived here went to work - neighbor helping neighbor, helping OURSELVES.
We knew, after seeing what happened with FEMA in Katrina and Rita, that we had to depend on OURSELVES, not the Fed or State governments. When their help did arrive, paperwork and red tape took months and even years, for people to wade through. FEMA has even SINCE contacted some who were given funds to rebuild and asked for REPAYMENT - even from elderly and disable homeowners ... !!
We have also never donated to the Red Cross (even before the hurricanes) because of their overload in admin positions, ridiculous salaries and holding of donations vs. putting the money into action for those it WAS INTENDED FOR ... !!!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 12-18-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Quilting Addict UK... I think your response was fantastic. Quilts or blankets given in times like these aren't just something to cover up with. They are tangible assurance that someone shares your pain; they provide warmth to the spirit more than the body. In short, they are love and caring. That's why we made quilts after 9-11. These are true comfort quilts. Your response was immediate and heart-felt. Bless you.

Last edited by marymm; 12-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Sounded like a great idea to me and quilters have generously come to the rescue. Thanks for being a part of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM

The shops in CT and Mass are doing pillowcases for all the school children of Sandy Hook School.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM

How about Snowflakes?
http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3459
http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Free.aspx
K
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
If anyone co-ordinates a Memory quilt project for these families, please PM me. I would be honored to make one.

Joanne
If this is something that is being coordinated, please PM me as well. My 10 year old DD and I would be honored and I think it would be quite theraputic for her as well.

Jennifer
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RainydayQuilter View Post
When the unthinkable happens to a member or members of your family, it can seem like there is nothing but evil left in this world. Receiving a blanket for some can be seen not as a reminder of the horrific event, but as tangible proof that there is still good in this world. That someone would give to you a stranger, something that they created in the hope it will help to give you peace and comfort when your world has completely changed in a moment. In the giving the giver can feel like they did something for someone else who is suffering, instead of saying how terrible it is. I'm thankful that so many quilters can find it in their hearts to provide quilts for so many who are hurting in our country; our vets, kids, tornado and hurricane victims to name a few.

A note from 'the other side' of the blanket....so to speak.
We have spents weeks/months in Ronald McDonald houses all across the US due to our DD multiple health issues, she still has the blankets, dolls, bears...that was so graciously donated by volunteers for the children that stayed at the various RMDH. She is now 23 & still has these various items that are near and dear to her heart. When she is feeling discouraged or needs a little encouragment she grabs one of these items, It gladdened my heart & hers that someone thought enough to care to make these items for kids they did not even know. It brought a smile to my heart to see her able to pick out one she wanted and it also brought a smile to her face to be able to feel so special as to be able to pick something out that someone made for'her'. Even though the time we spent away from family, out of state and in the RMDH's was not a good time in our life, it did come with these sweet memories of what she got from where, simply b/c someone cared enough to make .....for the children that stayed in these homes. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE in both the life of the child and their parents.