Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of Iron do you use? >

What kind of Iron do you use?

What kind of Iron do you use?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Thats hard I have had my rowenta for almost 7 years with no problems. I will probably be upset like you when mine dies. I have read reviews on many of the high end oliso, reliable, and haven't seen any good reviews on either.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 AM

My Rowenta is 20 years old....it was made in Germany and I won it in a sales contest. It still works great BUT I understand that they are no longer made where originally manufactured so that is the difference. I also have an older Black & Decker that I used to use and still have. I will be sad when, if my Rowenta hits the dust. It sold for around $100 when I won it.

Sandy
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 AM

i have a shark and an oreck. i inherited both of them from my mom
when she passed away this july. i sure like them so far. where she
bought them i dont know. she had two oreck vaccum so i assume
that is where she received the oreck one. but where she acquired the
shark have no idea.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 AM

I have an Oliso. It's blue. I love it! It gets hot quickly, steams well and I love the little feet that come out so you don't have to put the iron up on it's side.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If you use search feature above you will get many more opinions. We have had quite a few discussions on irons lately. I gave up on the Rowenta and have a Black and Decker Digital Advantage which I enjoy.
When I had a talk with Santa Claus not too long ago, he had compassion for me in that I have had about 40-eleven irons in the past two years, new, used, garage sale, Walgreen's and after a lot of checking I asked him for a Black and Decker D-2030 and he said "Sure, it's a good one". So, now, waiting with bated breath, I am getting the Black and Decker D-2030 (and no, it doesn't shoot your eye out) digital iron! Whoo-Hoo! Nice Santa Claus!!!! Merry Christmas! Edie
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Oliso ... not sure of the model but it's the yellow one.

Some things I love about this iron:

12' cord
30 minute shut off!!!
It gets hot fast but more important it STAYS hot. I've never had to wait for my iron to get hot after prolonged use
I have never scorched my fabric with this iron and I've been known to 'cook' my blocks to flatten them into submission
The little feet that raise it up and down - I confess I turn this option off most of the time, but when I'm ironing yardage and I need all the space on my board for fabric, it's nice to have the feet on so I can place the iron on my cutting table (not the mat) and the feet will raise it off the surface. It's much sturdier when you sit it flat (not upright) with the feet down - less likely to knock it over.

I do not use steam in my iron. Ever. So I can't comment on how the steam option works.
I concur, this Iron is all that and more
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 AM

I have SINGER Expert Finish 1700 Watt Steam Iron that I purchased about a year ago, and I love this iron. Think I paid around $50.00 for it. It gets hot very fast, and stays nice and hot. Does have an auto shut off, steams when I need it, dry when I need it. Fits my needs very well.

My Singer looks amazingly like the Black and Decker D-2030

Last edited by Amythyst02; 12-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 AM

I have only had two irons since I married in 1976. They are BOTH GE's and they both still iron beautifully.....dry or steam - no problems. The first was a bridal shower gift and the second one I picked up at the Salvation Army thrift store for $2!!! Can we talk CHEAP???
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM

I bought the Euro Steam Evolution at a quilt show last February, and I love it. It lays flat on a silicone holder and never shuts off. It really helps my carpel tunnel when I don't have to twist my wrist putting it on end after every use.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM

I use to use Rowenta but threw 3 in the garbage for leaky problems I nowuse a T-Fal and has worked very good and lasts a long time and mine is in use almost everyday