Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vinegar in photo quilts NEED HELP! >

Vinegar in photo quilts NEED HELP!

Vinegar in photo quilts NEED HELP!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM

judi_lynne, These were my first ones but I printed them on my Lexmark ink jet printer. Done the colorfast treatment as directed on the package. I washed them (separately) today in cold water, delicate cycle with a few color catchers (which came out with NO color at all on them) and dried them in the dryer on air fluff/ no heat setting and they turned out great! Neither my sister nor I could tell that they had faded. Oh, I used the June Tailor's sewable and washable fabric sheets.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
The "use vinegar/use salt" dictum came about in the 'old days' when fabric dyes were often home done. The choice of which item to use, salt or vinegar, depended on the mordant with which the dye was set. One worked on some things, the other worked on different things.

Since we have no way of knowing what type of chemical mordants are, or would be, used in today's dyes, using salt or vinegar in our washing hardly affects our fabrics at all as far as the dye is concerned.

So having Color Catchers on hand for most of us is as much a part of our quilting supply cupboard as a rotary cutter, seam ripper, or design wall.

Jan in VA
Thanks for that explanation. It was very detailed and helped me understand why, not just what should be done.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Hi mama...-I use Retayne. This is where I buy it: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1981-AA.shtml. Depending on the situation, can't wash the quilt, I will use a textile medium like this: http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-Delta-8-.../dp/B000XZTD28. It maintains the hand of the fabric while setting the colors. I use this even when I add pencil colors or gel colors to my appliqués. Hope these work in the future.