Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever put your thread in the freezer? >

Have you ever put your thread in the freezer?

Have you ever put your thread in the freezer?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Hi

I use this method all the time, as I live in the heart of London thread gets pretty dusty if left out and also dry, I just put thread in ziplock bag and freeze for a few hours works for me
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM

It seems to me if your thread is old and breaking, unless it is the only color of it in the world, I'd toss it and buy another spool. Why spend hours trying all kinds of things to try and fix it. I'm thinking that even I, who have been sewing for nearly 50 years, don't have so much rotting thread I have to replace it all, so the cost to replace the bad thread you DO find is probably going to negligible.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM

I've never has an issue with thread breaking. However, if I did I think it would be because of the wrong needle size or a tension issue. I'd try changing those two things first.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Never heard of this before! Have inherited "LOTS" of thread from 3 ladies who have passed. Most of it I donated, there was just so much more than I will ever use, but did keep some common colors. When I just read this post to my husband, he asked me how I was going to get a freezer into my sewing room, no threads in with the food, lol.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I'm using the size needle suggested by the manufacturer. I didn't receive any information with the thread.
Suggested by the manufacturer of what...the machine or the thread? Needle size and type are determined by the thread and fabric being used. If the eye of the needle is too small for the thread, the thread will break whether it's new, old, hydrated, dry, oiled, or not because it's rubbing on the edge of the eye. The eye of the needle should be 40% larger than the diameter of the thread. The groove should also be large enough to contain the thread.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM

I was going to say I put a drop of thread oil on needle tip and in my bobbin

what is "thread oil? I goggled it and got plumbing supplies.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM

I do it all the time. If I do not use a spool often I actually store my extra there.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM

What would happen if we stored all our threads in the fridge?
Would it prevent this problem?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Not exactly the same thing but when I worked I put my nylon hose in the freezer. You wet them and put in a baggie and put into the freezer and after a day or so take them out and hang to dry. Those hose lasted so long it was ridiculous so I think it strengthens the fibers. Possibly the same thing as the thread? Just saying!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM

I owned an embroidery business for 15 years and I live in Colorado where it is really dry. At times we had thread problems and if after checking all of the usual areas when we had thread problems putting it in the freezer sometimes fixed the problem. I don't know why it works, don't need to know why but it does work and it doesn't hurt the thread.