Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
2012 cake balls >

2012 cake balls

2012 cake balls

Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Default 2012 cake balls

I made cake balls last year and each flavor made a zillion balls each. SOOO, this year I made a yellow cake (near expire date) and a chocolate cake as directed to make the balls. Only this time I split up the yellow cake/frosting mix into 3 bowls. I wanted an orange cake ball--enter Jello, sprinkle some of the dry powder in one of the bowls. Mix very well and then shape. I did the same with raspberry Jello---OH SO GOOD and they turn the color of the Jello.
Next year I will use a white cake mix with the yummy Jello flavors.

For the chocolate I bought the new Hersheys' Mint Truffle candies, I filled my little ice cream scoop half full with cake and pushed a truffle in and it filled the space very well. Chill, dip and you now have a 'loaded' cake ball. Added coconut to some of the chocolate cake mix. I added a little extra frosting to the last of the cake mix and it made them kinda fudge-y.

Chilled overnight to hold their shape for dipping, coating is melted in my small crock pot. I prefer 16 oz.chocolate chips and 1/4 of a slab of paraffin wax.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Pictures, pictures, please!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I made cake balls last year and each flavor made a zillion balls each. SOOO, this year I made a yellow cake (near expire date) and a chocolate cake as directed to make the balls. Only this time I split up the yellow cake/frosting mix into 3 bowls. I wanted an orange cake ball--enter Jello, sprinkle some of the dry powder in one of the bowls. Mix very well and then shape. I did the same with raspberry Jello---OH SO GOOD and they turn the color of the Jello.
Next year I will use a white cake mix with the yummy Jello flavors.

For the chocolate I bought the new Hersheys' Mint Truffle candies, I filled my little ice cream scoop half full with cake and pushed a truffle in and it filled the space very well. Chill, dip and you now have a 'loaded' cake ball. Added coconut to some of the chocolate cake mix. I added a little extra frosting to the last of the cake mix and it made them kinda fudge-y.

Chilled overnight to hold their shape for dipping, coating is melted in my small crock pot. I prefer 16 oz.chocolate chips and 1/4 of a slab of paraffin wax.
I don't get it. Are the balls not cooked? So it's like a candy?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Here is a recipe I found
http://www.joyofjello.com/?p=1106
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Up North, thank you for the link, did not know it existed but that is kinda what I did. I did not flavor the whole cake with the Jello, I divided cake/frosting into thirds and then added Jello powder. That way I have 3 different flavors from one cake/frosting mixture. So using a white cake, the cake can be divided to make a variety of flavors using the Jello.

k9dancer, the cake is baked as directed and then shaped into balls and dipped, yes they are like candy.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Here are some more ideas on a variation of this
http://candy.about.com/od/halloweenc...-Cake-Pops.htm
http://www.bakerella.com/pops-bites/cake-pops/
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

I notice that some people add paraffin to their chocolate chips when they are melting. This is not necessary as they will set up fine without it. It is hard on the digestive system, as well as it leaves a waxy coating on your teeth. ugh! If you must add something, add a teaspoon Crisco to the chips.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM

This morning I was reading rave reviews my niece had on FB for her "Balls" and before I could call her I found this! Thanks!