Cookie Table at weddings?

Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 AM

I've never heard of this and for a short time I tested my wedding planning skills by being a wedding consultant and director. I did several weddings and have attended many, many more as a guest. Great idea though! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
All of our Italian weddings here in Missouri have massive cookie tables, as well as, a large wedding cake. Since my mother had died three years before I got married and my husband is not Italian, I figured we wouldn't have cookies at my wedding, just food and cake. My dad, aunt, cousins and friends of the family would not hear of it. My dad and aunt got together and started baking and then friends of my family started calling asking me to come pick up all the cookies they had made. It was so touching. I was so blessed. An Italian getting married without a cookie table isn't really married, I guess.

My daughter is getting married in October, so I'll start baking and freezing them this summer while school is out.
This brought tears to my eyes. I am from NW Pennsylvania and have attended weddings in the Boston area, D. C. area and several places in Florida and never encountered a cookie table. It is such a wonderful idea: warm, intimate and inviting.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:29 AM

I am from SW Ohio and have never heard of a cookie table!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM

I have never heard of it, but I love the idea! I'm a cookie girl!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:57 AM

I have never seen a cookie table, but at the last wedding, doughnuts were served because the first date was at a doughnut shop. I've attended weddings in NW PA, FL, CA, WA, CT, and never a cookie table. The idea is wonderful!!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 AM

I also live in Trumbull County where I have been to weddings with the cookie table. Also, Erie County, PA attended two weddings ( same family) and they had the cookie table. Yum!!! (Of course, Erie Co, PA and Trumbull Co, OH are side by side along Lake Erie).
Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 AM

I've never heard of a cookie table. A candy table sound interesting, too!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

well, maybe a few cookie tables will be popping up at weddings in different part of the country now! Merry Christmas to all!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter View Post
I'm from an Italian family. We always have a cake and there's ALWAYS a tray of cookies brought to each table. Sometimes even little pastries as well. For many years, there has been the custom of a "Viennese" table set up with an array of desserts. Sometimes an enormous display, sometimes not so big. Depends on how much money the bride wants to spend and also depends on the catering hall. There is still always the cake. I think the idea of a cookie table with goodies made by family is a wonderful custom and I would venture to say it's local.
I'm also from an Italian family from Brooklyn and the big Viennese table was usually included in recent weddings in NYCity. sometimes instead there would be cookie and mini pastries on each table. Up until the early 1950's the weddings I went to were 'football weddings"; entire family was invivted, no dinner but a tray of premade sandwichs was on each table, no open bar a bottle of rye or scotch on each table and an open soda bar for the kids. When coffee was served the groomsmen carried huge trays of cookies and mini cream puffs to each table. My mother would put a big paper bag in her purse to stuff some sandwichs and cookies in to take home. Wedding rememberance was a small box with candied almonds with the couples name and wedding date. Mid 1950's saw beginning of the 'catered' weddings for our families, children weren't invited to the formal dinner, a slice of wedding cake with coffee and a little trinket to take home instead of a bag of sandwiches and cookies. (Oh, they were called football weddings because people sometimes shared sandwiches between tables by tossing the sandwiches to each other like footballs, "Hey, any one want a salami in exhange for a ham?")

First time I heard of the cookie table was about 15 years ago when a friend's DD was marrying a man from the Pittsburg area. My friend wanted to have a dish of Italian cookies on each table in rememberance of her father who always brought a dish of those cookies whenever he visited anyone. Groom's family wanted a cookie table which my friend had never heard of but the wedding planner settle the problem with a plate of cookies on each table and 2 big tables of cookies made by the groom's mother and aunts. Everyone was satisfied and all the people at the wedding enjoyed wedding cake and cookies at the reception and took home cookies from both families. I think that's a much better way to do things instead of the giant Viennese displays of today which mostly goes to waste.

May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 12-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
All of our Italian weddings here in Missouri have massive cookie tables, as well as, a large wedding cake. Since my mother had died three years before I got married and my husband is not Italian, I figured we wouldn't have cookies at my wedding, just food and cake. My dad, aunt, cousins and friends of the family would not hear of it. My dad and aunt got together and started baking and then friends of my family started calling asking me to come pick up all the cookies they had made. It was so touching. I was so blessed. An Italian getting married without a cookie table isn't really married, I guess.

My daughter is getting married in October, so I'll start baking and freezing them this summer while school is out.
I failed to add that our family Italian cookie recipes all start with 5 pounds of flour. We used to mix the batch in a plastic wash tub. Shortly after my mother died, I was only 22, my dad and I broke down the recipes to start with only 3 cups of flour, so we could make smaller batches. He loved to cook but 5 pounds of flour made enormous batches and are overwhelming.

Now, I need those large recipes, but years ago, when my dad remarried, the witch he married, threw out his recipe box, knowing how much he enjoyed cooking, while he was in the hospital dealing with colon cancer. She said that he wasn't coming back home anyway because she wasn't going to take care of him. I'm going to have to go to my aunt's house one day and snap pictures of her recipes, so I have them for the wedding.

When my girls were little, we went to a wedding on my husband's side, remember he is not Italian. It was a church wedding and the reception was in the church basement. They served cake, punch, and mints. It was short and sweet. On the way home, my 6 years old daughter said, "When I have my wedding, I want to really get married."

I said, "They did get married. We witnessed the wedding ceremony in church."

My daughter said, "No way, Mom. There was no cookies, food, wine, music, or dancing, and it was too short."

My husband got this worried look on his face and said, "Oh God, we have got to start saving for that one's wedding. It is going to cost us a fortune."

Guess which one is getting married in October. LOL

Over the years, I have seen Italian wedding that cost $40,000 to $50,000. I find that to be ridiculous and that won't be happening at our house. I have a beautiful wedding 28 years ago with over 600 people at my reception with food, cookies, alcohol, etc. and didn't spend 10% of that.