Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Only Machine? Suggestions? >

Embroidery Only Machine? Suggestions?

Embroidery Only Machine? Suggestions?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Default Embroidery Only Machine? Suggestions?

Hi-

Since its Christmas time and I have been thinking about getting an embroidery machine forever, does anyone out there recommend a decent machine? I want to be able to use LETTERING first, then I will lean towards the images..I want to be able to personalize shirts etc for my family.

I have access to Janome, Brother, Babylock and Bernina dealers. I'm off from school this week, so I figured I would go out and test them..thoughts, suggestions? Budget would be between $1000-1500. I want to get a large hoop and I would love something that could hook up to my computer..I am a Mac user though!

Happy Holidays, JC
Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

My friend loves her bernina. My brothers always crapped out on me. I was a peofessional, i loved tajima, theyre prof. Machines. I have a frdwitha six needle brother, works great. Emb only.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:35 PM

I love my Deco. In fact I have 2
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Another Mac user here. I have a BabyLock Ellure Plus which I use a USB to USB cable to connect it to my computer. I would be sure that wherever you decide to buy your machine that they give classes (my shop gives free classes to those who buy machines from them). I just got my machine in the Spring and don't think I would be using it as much as I am if not for the classes. Have fun
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 PM

There are now software packages for the Mac. Embrilliance is one, there are a few others. All should have fonts

I'd check out the software and see if there is one that can grow with you. Almost any machine will embroider the way you want - Bernina's Art format usually doesn't convert - other programs can't read ART files, but there is a conversion program from OESD. As to whether or not a Mac can use it--- Most machines will handle PES. If not, there is EXP which is just color stops. If I'm not mistaken, older Bernettes used EXP. Just print out the instructions and color chart.
I can toss HUS, VIP, PES in my Pfaff 2170, and Brother and Babylock should do the same now. So should Viking. Janome - ? but most software deals with their format. For a while, Janome was making the Bernettes. The older machines were made by Brother. Have fun.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 12-24-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM

I have a Janome 350e, and love it! I use it a lot more than I ever expected because it is so user-friendly, and I can get designs from the internet and put them on a flash drive--then just put the flash drive into the embroidery machine. It is great for lettering, and I love using it for quilt labels. I paid $1400 for it, and it was worth every penny!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM

I have the Viking Topaz 20. It is not Mac compatible for some reason, but every user friendly, but it is not an embroider machine only. It does have some wonderful sewing features my Janome 6600P does not, so it was another reason I wanted to get it. I can make it sew like the orange stitching on jeans for one thing.

I am still learning on it - and amazed what it can do every time I use it.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:15 PM

I would do brother or babylock, they are most user friendly. I like my dreamweaver but they have the dreammaker that is embroidery only or the duetta is nice I hear
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 PM

I had a Babylock Ellure Plus that has a 5x7 hoop and extension hoop. All of my machines are Babylock and must say they are user friendly and the cost is reasonable. I do agree though go with a dealer that offers free classes for the machine you purchase. I traded mine in two months ago for the Babylock Spirit and am very happy with it. Good luck on your research and remember to "test drive" the machines as well.