Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav? >

If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav?

If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 AM

I make quilts for family and myself mostly. It is so hard to sell quilts and get the proper amount of money for all the time and effort. I have really never tried to sell anything.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM

I make quilts ranging from table runners/small wall hangings all the way to queen size coverlet/large wall hangings for my family. My two children, their spouses and grandson all appreciate what I make for them. Every other year I ask what they would like me to make for them for next Christmas and I get started in January. During the alternate years, I make whatever I want for them. I am blessed my family loves and appreciates what I make for them. I also participate in my guild's charity projects, and I make Quilts of Valor whenever I can. At one time I thought it would be hard to give away quilts I've made, but it is not difficult at all! Then I make quilts and wall hangings for our home...so many ideas. Guess the secret is to make a quilt for a specific purpose, smile.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM

I think that quilting can become an addiction. I certainly have more fabric than I will probably ever make into something. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month which gives me a good excuse to keep buying childish prints etc. Then I need flannel for the backs and of course batting by the roll. I have at least a dozen finished bed size quilts tucked away or on my bed. The room where I store most of my stash also contains our oil tank. Must husband told me not to purchase any more fabric for a while so that if the tank should spring a leak and have to be replaced it would be possible to do so. I guess I had better get busy making some more Linus quilts and stay away from the fabric store for a while. Those Joann coupons in my wallet will just have to go to waste.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I believe you pay a percentage fee when you sell an item.

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
My understanding (although I haven't tried it myself) is that Etsy listings are free.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 AM

With most of my quilts, they were made because "they called to me." All of my friends and family have quilts. So, I donate liberally. There is an adage--one who sleeps under a quilt is comforted by love." I figure that I am contributing to the world in my own, small way. I was raised to give back in order to show appreciation for what I have. And, the truth is, I'd rather give away my work to someone who needs the love than be reimbursed for the fabric and not get the full values. That's just me, of course--
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 AM

I have several quilts that have ended up being just for me, because I liked them so much, I couldn't get rid of them. So I have them on the "Princes and the Pea" bed in the spare room. Periodically I rotate them so there is a different one on top. I love to just go in and look at them. But nearly all of my quilts are made with charity in mind. I try to keep a stash of quilts handy for emergencies. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I am comforting someone in need.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM

With roughloyt 60 members in our extended family there is no problem. By the time you get around once it's time for another round.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 AM

If you are becoming a quilt hoarder and each quilt you make just gets added to your hoard, try making them slower by making each one from a more complicated pattern. Not only will you grow in your ability as a quilter, your quilts should become more beautiful and intricate. Perhaps with time you will be willing to part with the older, simplier quilts and keep the more complicated patterns. At any rate, you won't be making them as fast and your hoard won't grow as rapidly. Or make a rule that you'll only make one quilt per pattern. One DP9, one Yellow Brick Road, etc. Make it your goal to grow as a quilter while you are enjoying a new aspect of quilting.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 AM

I donate my quilts to the Salt River Indian Reservation.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM

I quilt harder patterns and samplers so I don't have a big build up of quilts. I have only made 14 in my three and a half years of retirement. These have all been used in my home and as gifts. I also make bed size quilts (unless for a baby) so I don't have a lot of build up. I guess it may come to that at some point, but I can't see it happening in the near future! Guess I'm lucky in that regard