Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to me Sewing Machine >

New to me Sewing Machine

New to me Sewing Machine

Old 12-26-2012, 02:43 PM

I bought my Viking 500 in 1999 and have been very pleased with it. I have a very good owner's manual that I bought in addition to the one that came with the machine.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM

the viking 500 was a very good machine for it's time-mid 1990's. lots of stitches, and a nice buttonhole to it. i have it's little sister, the 350. i LOVE the machine...it's a true workhorse, and i bought a viking 140c this summer. I think i know where the manual for the 350 is....if i can find it, would you like me to make a copy for you and mail it to you?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Such a sweet gesture....have fun with your New machine!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM

That is so sweet! you must have a wonderful hubby.That machine will always means more to you than any other you may get. I always thought my best treasures were second hand. I love the value there. Oh enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 AM

I had a 500 for many years until I dropped it off a table. It's a tough machine, still worked even after being dropped. Viking feet are expensive so I'd wait to see what you need before investing. To do basic quilting you just need a "A" and or the "B" foot (the letters are on the top of the foot). If you are using this basically for piecing I would invest in a 1/4 inch viking foot, there are many styles. You will love this machine!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Congrats!!! I love my viking machines!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and kind thoughts. I'm super excited with it. I've done some playing with it and got some of the features figured out. I've contacted Viking asking if they had a manual they could send me. If they can't send it to me my hubby found a site that sells pdf of all kinds of sewing machine manuals for just $10. I think it would be worth the purchase so that I do things correctly.

I want to use it to do actual quilting as well as piecing on. I've got my blocks all cut out and squared up from sewing on my Mom's machine. Tomorrow I'm going to try sewing the top together on the Viking. I'm so glad that we were able to get this. Other family members surprised me with amazon gift cards so I can try to get a few things from there.

My best friend, well her gift really blew me away. Today in the mail I got the Surpreme Slider, Machinger gloves, clover self threading needles, the pin place & little genie bobbin washers all from www.Daystyledesigns.com. It was really a heartfelt gift. I'd made her a quilt for Christmas that I shared earlier and she wanted to get me something so I could have fun making more quilts. I'm really looking forward to trying everything out.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Congrats! You will love your new Viking! I have a Lily, which is essentially the same as your 500. Very good machine. It does have the smaller throat area, but don't let that get to you! It is a workhorse of a machine and will last you many years. I upgraded just recently to the Sapphire. Not for any particular reason, just found a good deal. My Lily is just sitting here.....maybe I sould sell it.