Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drowning in unfinished projects >

Drowning in unfinished projects

Drowning in unfinished projects

Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 AM

Put them all in a pile,close your eyes, and pick one. There is no perfect one to pick first to finish and a perfect
second one. Just pick one and finish it. It'll make you feel so good you'll keep going.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 AM

I agree that making a list seems to help me get organized and then you know which one you are going to work on next. and you don't have to think about it so much. Good luck on getting started.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Hi all,
Hope some of you can help me out. I have some time to sew before I go back to school but am feeling overwhelmed with how many projects are lurking around my sewing space. Argh, finding it hard to pick and this is frustrating me. Please give me your thoughts. If you are a 'finish one project before you move on' quilter, it's too late to change me now.
Well I suffer with too many projects at once. Presently I am preparing for a six day quilting retreat at the end of January and my goal is to not take yardage because it is so heavy. I have two projects to get to the pack- able stage and 8 packed!!! That's 10 unfinished projects. That doesn't count the ones that will stay at home. Does that help your guilt? I get bored quickly, I guess.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I keep only one project in the sewing area. Others are kept elsewhere so that when we feel like doing some quilting we grab the closest and only project available instead of taking time to go upstairs and dig out another. That way we do finish one project at a time.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM

I keep a list of UFOs and finishes, and I review it at least once a month. It's amazing what I do get finished - I never realized it until I started listing. For blocks of the week/month, I add the blocks I do to the finishes, too, so I can remind myself that I am not idle.

Another thing I did recently was take a bunch of tops to a long armer. They are out of the house and somebody is working on them!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM

I bet if you have tops finished, but not the quilting....that if you offer them up for a new longarmer to practice on...you just provide the batting and backing....she will have free pratice...once done that person can mail it back to you...just a thought...win, win for both...just don't be disappointed if the quilting is not perfect.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Just yesterday I was talking about this with my LQS owner. She has many projects going at once. We finally figured out that some projects you just need a break from, and thus another gets started. Or a baby in the family is born, and now a new project takes priority, or you are working on one, and need that perfect fabric for the borders and it gets set aside... etc etc.

I have many UFO's, and what I do is just pick one, do it, and mark it off the list. I have a few projects right now that are on priority, and others that I will get to when I can. I have a couple of UFO's that are more intricate than some of the other projects. Sometimes "intricate" isn't what I can do, so I go with something simpler.

I do admire those who can do one project at a time, but totally accept the fact I'm not one of them, and just go with the flow when the urge and mood strikes to finish off some UFO's. I just pick a project, finish it, and don't forget to post pics!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Oh dear, my UFO list is amazingly looooooonnnggg! There are some good ideas and replys to this post, so I am going to organize my UFO's, make a list containing info about what needs to be done to get the project finished, then start with the one closest to finished project and work down from there. My guild has put out a UFO challenge for this year. The person completing the most UFO's at the end of the year receives a gift certificate from our LQS. I want to win so I can add even more to my stash, LOL.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM

A local quilt guild had it's members sign a pledge to finish one UFO a month for a year. My friend decided to participate and she actually kept on going after the year was up. She had 14 UFO's and she finished all of them. Just one a month!!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM

Please come to my house. I get bored with some of my UFOs. We all need help with these UFOs for sure. What to do for the New Year."do Not start a new quilt until UFOs are done. (I hope I can agree to my terms). :-(.