Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine >

Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine

Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine

Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about the sameness of American quilting magazines. I stopped several of them since they looked like they were repeating previously published patterns. I still get QNM and McCalls but they, too, have become lackluster. When I look at a pattern, I want to be inspired and that hasn't happened in a long time. I like challenging patterns even though I may never do them, but they become something to aspire to. I think American quilting has somewhat become too easy, too fast, since apparently that's what most quilters want. Whenever I see a phenomenal quilt at a show or in a magazine, most of the time it was done by a Japanese quilter. Simply exquisite work.

Let me know if you want the name of the store where I purchased my Daiwabo's. They have a website where all their fabric is 35% off including Daiwabo's for a limited time. I would have to give you the sale code which is somewhere in my inbox.

I ordered the patterns from Quiltmania and they charged my account about $31. Can't wait to receive it. I will keep you posted.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM

I completed the first block but got side tracked with the holidays. I love all of Yoko Saito's quilts, purses and I have been collecting some of her books. Issue 92 of Quiltmania has the completed quilt which is appliqued to the background after the blocks are all sewn together. I've been getting the magazine from Joann's. Older issues are hard to find. Some of the fabrics that I chose for this quilt I ordered from One World Fabric, http://www.oneworldfabrics.com/. They have a great selection of the type of fabrics that she uses and have great customer service.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Saw a couple of days ago that primitive Gatherings will not be offering the pattern, just the fabrics.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SueLevin View Post
Saw a couple of days ago that primitive Gatherings will not be offering the pattern, just the fabrics.
Hi Sue, just curious, where did you see this?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Thumbs up Mystery Quilt and Fabrics

Hi: Just watched several of the videos. The reverse applique doesn't look too difficult now that I saw how she does it. Been thinking of ordering the pattern only and using/buying the fabrics separately. I like the fabrics the pattern designer used but may not be the ones that Primitive Gatherings would send. The pattern costs 23 Euros which I think is about $30. I can't seem to find a picture of the completed quilt on line. Do you know where that might be? YouTube is a great source of videos. Wish they were in English.
Yoko Saito's Mystery Quilt, is indeed, not a beginner quilt, but anyone with applique experience would have little trouble making it. Some of the issues of Quiltmania magazine were hard to find during 2012, so QM introduced a complete pattern pack for the quilt, with instructions in English. It is available here https://www.oneworldfabrics.com/shop...t-pattern-set/. Although my company, One World Fabrics, does not sell kits for this this quilt, we do carry the entire line of fabrics designed by Yoko Saito, called Centenary. We also offer our own collections of Taupe fabrics by color groupings in pieces as small as fat eighths for appliquers. We have a Taupe collector club for those interested in building a stash of these fabrics.
You will be pleased to know that two U.S. publishing companies have begun to translate into English, and republish many of Yoko Saito's books. Several of these will be released this year. Two are currently available on the One World Fabrics website. Sign up for our online newsletter to keep up to date on the release dates of these books.
Thanks,
-Steven
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Steve View Post
You will be pleased to know that two U.S. publishing companies have begun to translate into English, and republish many of Yoko Saito's books. Several of these will be released this year.
YAY!!!! Oooh, now I'm jumping up and down and giggling.... this made my day!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 AM

I know I got an email from Lisa Bongean saying they could not obtain the patterns and would only be offering fabric kits. Now on their Shop Blog it seems they have the patterns too; I.e., $65 for the first month if you don't have the patterns and $38 every other month thereafter.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I have her book: Past and Present My Quilting Life. It's fantastic. I bought a BOM last year of her Sunflowers Road quilt and the book was a must have to get the paper pattern for it. The Japanese Taupe fabrics that came with the BOM are pure luxury.
It's the nicest quilt book I own. I want to make every quilt in the book. All the quilt patterns are separate paper patterns included in a package with the book. One is Satomi's Quilt pattern and it has about 22 house blocks with trees and train track, just beautiful. The Funny Cats quilt will melt you heart. All the cats are playing in a tree. If you get the chance to buy this book, don't hesitate.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM

I know I got an email from Lisa Bongean saying they could not obtain the patterns and would only be offering fabric kits. Now on their Shop Blog it seems they have the patterns too; I.e., $65 for the first month if you don't have the patterns and $38 every other month thereafter.
Ok, yes. I receieved confirmation from the shop that they can get the pattern if needed but they won't sell it without the fabric kit. It is just as well. At $27 that is the cheapest I've found it. The first block seems to have alot of wool. That is ok by me, though I may do some of the houses with the wool windows and some of the windows reverse applique just to learn that technique. It looks like it is going to be alot of fun.

I did send an email to them asking if they were going to sell either or thread pack or give a list of threads with each block. The reply was that they wouldn't know until after the first block was prepared but that we could request to have thread added to the order if we want. I would like the list and then I can collect the threads as I go, maybe. Though, it would be nice to have everything at once.