Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this be made into a quilt? >

Can this be made into a quilt?

Can this be made into a quilt?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 AM

If you use google images for "optical illusion quilts" some fabulous quilts come up. That tells me it can be done. Would require a lot of talent and patience to do it.

(Since it is someone else's work, it would be prudent to ask permission first.)
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 AM

If you really want to drive yourself crazy, here is some info on the graphic your son chose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

Just for fun, is there an engineering school nearby? We have GA Tech here. I'd take it over to the University, go to the engineering dept and explain my predicament. I guarantee there will be either an engineering student or prof who would be interested in trying to draft this. And, to ease some of your son's pain, take him with you. This could be a marvelous project for you both!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny View Post
I just looked up the artist on Google! All his work is very interesting Beau Deeley! Go look! Very unusual and very creative work....It is an original work...can't be copied.
The artist's work can't be copied but this is the inside view of a torus and that can copied...actually might be easier to make a variation with larger pieces.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 AM

Yes, it can. If you want to keep the center design-cut a big square-as is for a square quilt or a round for an applique. But, I would try Phillips FiberArts Triangles; but once you cut it its cut. So, I would sorta try to draw it out on paper or EQ7 to see which way you might possible do it. Any Fabric an be quilted; may not be that good but it can be. OR-just use it as whole cloth quilt--border it and back it and quilt it as is. Wow; Have Fun Playing with your fabric.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My son sent me this picture. I love it. I want to TRY to make a quilt like this. Is it possible without it being "oh so difficult" that I'd go nuts?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384699[/ATTACH]

I love how it spins!!!!
It's crazy, I know, but I love it!
Magic Stack and Whack would be perfect!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
Its a wicked optical illusion! I too love how it spins. I wonder if the same illusion can be caught with cloth? I think I would try it in say four blocks or six - repeat of the pattern is what I mean. I would be concerned that stretching the basic pattern would destroy the illusion. Just my thoughts.

Go for it Mom - you can do it
How about trying it with shaded rectangles? It might produce a similar optical illusion.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM

gosh!! It is possible if you can get it to stay still long enough!! Whew! What an undertaking!! But, it would be totally awesome when you get done!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM

An illusion quilt was made by one of our own........Quilterella

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t168787.html
Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 AM

Go for it. I think the painting on a wholecloth sounds like the best shot. It looks amazing. I want to see it as you progress. Your son has faith in you and i'll bet you can do it. It is an awesome picture. The dimension i thin would be the hardest part. It might take a while but i think it would be worthy of a challenge. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Default brainstorming

I do enjoy the creativity of this brain trust! My suggestion would be to simplify the design by choosing one cool-looking section of it. Like many others I can see doing this with appliqué (possibly "reverse" appliqué if one could piece the dots of whatever shape and color and then just appliqué the outside of each dot so it shows through the background. Uffda! Your son is a troublemaker! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	simplify.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	385047