Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attitudes towards young quilters >

Attitudes towards young quilters

Attitudes towards young quilters

Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM

It's not a sad thing to look younger than you are. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM

I don't think it has as much to do with age as it has to do with cliques. Some people are still living in their grade school days when cliques were formed on the playgrounds to bully others because standing alone they must feel small.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that any quilter of any age would make you feel unwelcome. The only way quilting will continue as an art form is if older women and men teach younger women and men how to quilt. I belong to a Tuesday morning group at my quilt shop that is made up of women of all ages (and we've had one man join us occasionally). We learn so much from each other because every one has different eyes for fabrics, colors, quilt patterns, etc. Keep looking for a group that you feel comfortable with and feel comfortable sharing with.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM

I am 70 and have had the same experience with 2 different groups. I was just not made to feel welcome. I was also given the "most difficult" task of ironing scraps. So I sit in my quilting and sewing rooms with my TV or radio. I am great with this. I get along good with Myself. We hardly ever disagree.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Some of our members bring their grandchildren and they get to show off the first quilts they have made. We LOVE them. I have given sewing machines to two little girls who wanted to quilt and they were so proud to have their own machines. They are still growing and learning and sometimes they sew and sometimes they don't and that is okay. At least they are learning the basics.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 AM

Sorry you feel that you have not been accepted. Join us, we want our craft to keep going and gladly accept anyone wants to join. Good Luck with your search.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 AM

I am glad you found one that is nice to you. I have tried several and though I am nearly 70, I have yet to find one that will welcome some new. You need to be a friend of someone already a member. On the other hand, the online groups are ALL friendly, nice and willing to work with anyone with a problem. Thank you to all of the members. I hope you'll know how wonderful you are and how appreciated you are.
Gammaginny
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 AM

It's not quilters, per se, but WOMEN! (Now I know I'll get bashed for this, but hang on, just a sec.) I have lived all over the USA, but mostly on the coasts. What I've discovered is that women in any group where there are not men (oh, keep reading. I hear you yelling at me.) to modify/influence the behavior of women...well, it can get nasty. It seems to depend on the leader. If you can somehow be friends with the leader (and I don't mean brown nose, but be genuine) and get her approval, you'll be set. Otherwise, it'll be a tough road. I LOVE younger folks. They keep me alive, stretching, growing, learning. Now go ahead and bash me...but it's what I've experienced. Sad, very sad that women are their own worst enemies.

Eyes...you are SO right!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 AM

I am so sorry that u had such a negative experience, I wish you lived by me I love younger people they are so fun and make me feel young. I spend more time with my daughters and they friends and family than with my own friends. Though I am only 58 ! Lol. I love this board! I have been sewing since probably I was 9 but only started quilting this past June. You probably could teach me a lot. Hope things improve!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
I love young quilters. I am 69 but did not want to belong to the older quilt guilds in my area as they didn't seem very friendly. I looked for the Modern Quilt Guild and found one in my area. Many of the members are young married with babies but we also have middle age and older members. I wanted to be with a young, enthusiastic guild that wanted to try new methods as well as traditional. We all help each other with anything. Right now we are doing a traveling quilt. We recieved premade quilt squared from a swap challange through the Modern Quilt Guild. The blocks are all sizes and we are challenged to put the blocks together. We have had to make additional blocks and add sashings to connect the blocks and make it work. The quilt will be beautiful when finished. Keep looking. You will find the right group to work with and like the others here have said, you do have us.

But, but Fayzer, you're the youngest 69 year old I've EVER known! So naturally you'd fit into a Modern Quilt Guild 'seamlessly' ahem pardon the pun :0)