Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attitudes towards young quilters >

Attitudes towards young quilters

Attitudes towards young quilters

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Oh dear .. I think we all have experienced that at one time or another in real life or even in the virual world. So all I can offer is: find a few good books, a neighbor that quilts, a family member that quilts: and learn all you can. Some people resent sharing their "expertise", but we all were "beginners" at some time and still are beginners at other items.
I am teaching a 68 year old woman who can sew the most gorgeous wedding dresses but has never quilted in her life. I am also teaching my DGD's how to sew, quilt and crochet. I am a believer of passing on something I have learned all through my years of self learning through books, trial and error and then learning from others. To pass on knowledge is the greatest thing I can do.

IF I can do anything to help you out; pm me and we'll chat .. Please, don't give up due to the lack of consideration of others.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM

I too experienced an unwelcoming group in a guild I joined in Arizona. I hesitated joining another but six months ago jumped into one here in our little town where we live now. Some ladies have been friendly then there is a clique of about a dozen or so of them that I've observed that may have known each other a long time I assume...maybe they are founding members???

I wonder if it has more to do with the fact that we are mostly women who quilt? It reminds me of high school cliques, you're either in or you are out. I surmise that is why this Quilt Board is soooooo very successful, I've yet to post a question that isn't answered many times over, encouragement abounds, this is a wonderful 'guild' of quilters, men and women alike here.

I remember advice my very outgoing (never-met-a-stranger-type personality) FIL gave me years ago, "Get the other person to start talking about themselves, and there will never be a lack of conversation", ask them the most inane question that relates to them and very few people find it uncomfortable to expound on their 'expertise'.....I've found that to be so true.

If a person isn't naturally outgoing and effusive joining a new group and being the new kid on the block can be intimidating.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
I'm sorry, MissSongBird and Dolphyngrl, that you both have had those experiences. Some of the quilting groups are hard for "new" people to enter. And age doesn't really matter. When I first started my quilting journey about 5 or so years ago, I encountered some of the some experiences with younger, same age, and older ladies in different groups. I was actually laughed at on 2 separated occasions. I am 69 1/2 years old, so age doesn't matter. It reminds me of being in middle and high school and the "mean girls" attitudes sometimes. At first, it bothered me but now I realize how some women tend to stay in the "insecurity stages of adolescence" and never mature to reach out to others fully. I think it has to do mostly with trust issues in their past. My advice is for you to just keep quilting and don't let anything sway your confidence. Before you know it, you will become the "older" ladies and there will "youngins" that will need your help, guidance, and encouragement. I am in a wonderful Quilting Guild now and always enjoy going to the meetings. We all have a tendency to stay with what is comfortable to us and some people just have a harder time reaching out. I don't think it is you. You are next generation of quilters and the art needs young people like you to continue on. Please look for and find a group that you feel comfortable with for I believe there is one out there for you. With kindest regards,
JoAnn

Wow JoAnn I couldn't agree with you more, your entire post is 'right-on'. IMHO
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM

I hate that you have had a negative experience with a few quilters. We should welcome all young quilters with open arms. I am teaching my grandchildren, ages 13, 5, 3, and 2, to quilt. The older two do the sewing and the younger two help choose colors. I hope they will continue quilting and one day teach their children and grandchildren. What a legacy that would be!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 AM

I marvel at the QB - they are so caring and encouraging with their posts. One does not need human contact to find joy in their quilting. Social gatherings can be fun, but they also can be critical. Don't let UR youth discourage U!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
I'm many years older than 20!! I found quilters in my local guild to be closed to "newcomers" (I was about 55 when I joined the guild) so I quit attending the meetings, and it had nothing to do with age. I am more of a loner and introvert anyway, so I actually do better on my own.
I would encourage you not to give up, however. Look at Leah Day, her skill, and her age - 27 or maybe 28. She commands great respect for her quilting skills. So even though you feel age is a factor, and it certainly may be with some women, stick with it. Don't become discouraged. You may be the next Leah Day!!
I totally agree with you!!! My step grandson who is 13 just came interested in sewing!!! He blames
me for introducing him to sewing. ha ha ha That is a good thing to be accused of.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MissSongbird View Post
I'm 20 years old and I've been quilting for about 5 years now, and as a young quilter I've experienced many different attitudes from other quilters because of my age. It's only within the last year or two that I've actually become involved in the local quilting community.

A little over a year ago I joined a Thimbleberries quilting group with my aunt in hopes that we would grow a more serious bond over our love of quilting. Long story short, my aunt slowly stopped going with me and my the quilt shop no longer does thimbleberries. Anyway, at the beginning I got a lot of weird looks from the women. I felt sorta un-welcome, but thankfully this was only from a couple of women. Many of these women were happy to talk to me and make me feel welcome. And then once I did show-and-tell for the first time with my black and red log cabin quilt, I truly felt accepted into the group for they now knew I could ACTUALLY QUILT! Some of the women have begun offering my fabric and books and they are always open to helping me with any quilting problem.

But on the other hand I haven't had great experiences with some other quilters. Almost two years ago I joined a local chapter of Quilts of Valor. Unlike at Thimbleberries, I felt welcome at the very beginning. But slowly after time the ladies talked to me less and less and I could feel those judgmental stares. I've also found that when we have collectedly worked on projects I'm given "busy work" I guess you would call it...nothing that actually helps all that much. Not all of the women are like this, but it seems some are more than not. Now I don't even want to go to meetings. I'd rather sit at home in my own room doing my thing, than being ignored with all those women around me.

Honestly, I feel sometimes some of older quilters aren't to welcome to young quilters and it pushes some potential quilters away. I'm not like a lot of people for if they tell me I can do something I prove them wrong, but I know a lot of people who would be put off forever because of these attitudes.

Sorry this is soooo long, but to get to the point, please don't count us youngins. I know we are hard to find, but most of those who do come around love quilting just as much as the next person. And just because we are young doesn't mean we are unskilled or unexperienced.
There seem to be plenty of younger quilters who do blogs. Just think of them. I'm thinking that the ladies at the meetings think it is strange that you have the time to go to a meeting like that--personally I'd love to see younger quilters--I think it is neat!

Last edited by justflyingin; 01-02-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM

I teach quilting at my LQS and just love it when younger people sign up! Frankly, if we don't have younger people like yourself, eventually quilting will become a lost art. Why not look for a new place to quilt, or start a group at your LQS? Or put a notice on Craig's List. Good luck to you!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I teach quilting at my LQS and just love it when younger people sign up! Frankly, if we don't have younger people like yourself, eventually quilting will become a lost art. Why not look for a new place to quilt, or start a group at your LQS? Or put a notice on Craig's List. Good luck to you!
I agree a LQS might be a way to connect with other quilters, at least that is how I was introduced to quilting and have made life long friends. I took a t-shirt class with some friends ( I was clueless)but went to every class and become hooked on quilting and none of my friends from the T-shirt class finished their quilt or come to classes). Since then, I have taken many classes, gone on shop hops, day trips and basically become very close to my quilting buddies. Don't give up...there are great people (quilters) who do not judge you for your age or talent.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I get along good with Myself. We hardly ever disagree.
Not me! I always argue with myself. I hate it most when I don't win. Whoops did I say that out loud??LOL