Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yet another newbie sucked into the addiction... >

Yet another newbie sucked into the addiction...

Yet another newbie sucked into the addiction...

Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM

Don't have time for all these addictions and I'm not getting any younger. I'm praying for an eight day week....I live in Maine and I babysit my granddaughter in Massachusetts Mon thru Wed, then back to Maine. Sewing & wine. Hope that doesn't turn into addiction..... Trying to make all my presents. Isn't that a laugh with 5 children and spouses and 6 grandchildren. Gift Certificates anyone?????
Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 AM

My sister has her husband hold the part that hangs over while quilting it. Do you have anyone to help you. It scares me even to think of it. Still Tying mine. Want new machine - not this year!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Dix

Welcome from Okla. City! No one warns you of the Quilt Bug and it is here to stay. I have a good friend in Jackson, TN. Nancy Eubanks, do you know her, she has lived there forever?
Dix
Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Welcome Pam1966! You're in the right place- right with all of us addicts! There's so much to be addicted to....the fabric, creativity, piecing, quilting...it goes on and on...
I had to smile at another posters welcome, her very descriptive relationship with fabric that she bought from Joann's, yes....I too admire my fabric and fondle it as well! :)
Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 AM

Love that picture of your horse. Went to a Halloween party last night in Lisbon Falls, Maine and one of the women there had six horses. How wonderful is that? My grandaughters went to horseback riding camp this summer. Hope they don't get the bug for it, more expensive that quilting and right now times are not easy for parents with young children. They had a good time. There is something about a horse that is just magnificent when you watch them, almost majestic. We have a Marden's store about 30 mins. from me that sells the most beautiful material at half the cost of JoAnn's. I also love my material. I look at my stash and think I'm rich.....Colors.....texture......who could ask for more! Peace
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM

:D :D Hello Lisa, I am also Very New! I am taking a quilting Class or rather it has been an on going class! We started with a 12 block sampler! Which I butchered mine so Bad I have ended up with 2 baby quilts! an they still need borders & backing! Then they did a small place mat, I have 2 blocks done! Then They decided to do a Christmas Tree Quilt an I still have to cut them down or square them up ,then sew them in rows! Then a border an back, an get someone to show me how to finish! And now they are doing a Quilt as you go Table runner & Place mat to match! YIKES!!! I dont know if I am coming or going! I just Bought a 6 six old Pfaff creative 7550 it.s 6 yrs old an I dont Too Much abot it But it was my Teachers an it has the dual feed that I really love for peicing! But Now I have had a Brain Frezze! I can not rember how to Square up my Christmas Tree Blocks!! Can you Help me with that! I did not mean to go on so long But on Top of Everything Else I am Trying to Quit Smoking!! And I am not doing so good Right Now! Can You Help :oops: :roll: :( :( :XD:
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Whoa!!! Take a deep breath! Now..first...go stick that patch back on your arm to continue to quit smoking (worked for me :D )

Now...where are you in the block squaring up? I usually just find the center of my block (after I've pressed ..not ironed...) then I lay my square ruler on top finding the right dimension for 2 of the sides. For ex: if its a 6" block...I make sure that the 2 sides I am trimming are both 3 1/4" from the center. I trim, then turn the block around and do the same for the other 2 sides.

Now...anything else you need help with? I can't help you with the machine, but getting the instruction book for it would help. You can start a thread about it and I know someone on the board can help you.

Good luck and breath...and have fun!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 AM

Welcome from Georgia. Oh yes the addiction takes hold quickly and this site does support that addiction...isn't that great? LOL I should post pics of my latest "binge". I got an unbelievable deal from a lady that had to close up her shop and now is selling all for 2.00 a yd.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 AM

:oops: :mrgreen: :oops: My Stash is enourms ! But I Love Every single scrap! an I forgot to Say! Hello, and Thanks for joining!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Whoa!!! Take a deep breath! Now..first...go stick that patch back on your arm to continue to quit smoking (worked for me :D )

Now...where are you in the block squaring up? I usually just find the center of my block (after I've pressed ..not ironed...) then I lay my square ruler on top finding the right dimension for 2 of the sides. For ex: if its a 6" block...I make sure that the 2 sides I am trimming are both 3 1/4" from the center. I trim, then turn the block around and do the same for the other 2 sides.

Now...anything else you need help with? I can't help you with the machine, but getting the instruction book for it would help. You can start a thread about it and I know someone on the board can help you.

Good luck and breath...and have fun!
johnsondebra,
Congratulations on the kicking the smoking! Everyday will get better. And a hobby (addiction) like quilting is the thing to do. You'll be replacing the "habit" with something that is fun and good for you. You do know that along with a lot of good things, quilting has been known to lower blood pressure. Truly!

As for all the projects, I'm not one to give advice because I have sooooo many unfinished projects. But I can say that I did complete my first one. I had help with each step (I had a good book as a guide -- Quilts, Qults, Quilts) and then there were quilters at my workplace [elementary school]that I could ask for advice. Sometimes I just need to SEE it.)

I know you're a little hyper right now, but that's a good thing. Use that energy. Perhaps if you just step back and evaluate all that you have done. Then pick the one that is the closest to being complete. Put all the others aside and concentrate on finishing the one that was selected. There will always be someone on this great board to help you. I have learned so much from all of these terrific people. And they're good listeners, too.

About this time last year, someone on the board issued a challenge that we work on our UFO's. Well I chose the one that I thought was the hardest one. And I did it. It wasn't perfect, but it was done. What a feeling of accomplishment! You are in my prayers. Let us know how things are going. :wink: