2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm....would really be interested in this except we are in the process of redoing my bedroom, my son's room , the living room and kitchen and none of my fabric stash fits the bill.....maybe next year?
I think you can buy for a specific project. . . at least I wouldn't feel guilty about it! I think the premise behind the fabric moratorium is not to buy fabrics just because. . . IMHO
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Great advise on the unsubscribe from the on line stores-most of the time I can refrain due to the shipping.But Oh please I can't even open the e-mails from Missouri Quilt Co. or Connecting Threads or I am in big trouble-lol My motto w/ the on line stuff is " if you don't see u won't think u need it"
Not to be an ensbler (to buy, that is), but I rarely pay shipping-just make sure I order the minimum to get free shipping!! Or, wait until they have a free sipping code. Anyway, sometimes the sale is just too good to pass up, despite the shipping! If I order, say, 10 yards, I just divide the shipping by 10 and add it to the cost per yard! Just saying----
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM

I'm in - I never need to buy fabric in my lifetime - I have bolts! I did buy Christmas fabric in anticipation of making Christmas quilts for 2013. I made four quilts (full and queensize) as auction quilts to benefit local non-profits including Summit Assistance Dogs and O.L.A.E (the local dog beach) All the fabric including the backing and the batting was from my stash. I also am part of a non-profit that makes quilts and those quilts have not made a dent in my stash. However, when I invite friends to shop in my stash, it's hard to let some of my fabric go - go figure.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

hmmmmmm this is a tough one..

I live 40 miles from the nearest reasonably priced Fabric shop and 20 miles from the expensive $10-13 Shop...
When im in town I just HAVE to check it out and see whats new.. I know i have three or four lifetimes worth of fabric and yet the need to buy another bolt when i see a fab i just MUST have overwhelms me.. lol..

I will try to 'join' this train ride , but im telling you all I may trip and accidentally fall into a fabric store .. lol
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

PaperPrincess ....

Just curious. How many of the folks that joined last year were able to make it through November?

Half of me hopes you say "LOTS" and that will encourage us that it can be done
The other half (the evil child half) hopes you say "NONE" as that will drive my competitive nature and make me want to be the first

Either way ... I'm just darn curious!!!

BTW - with regard to un-subscribing to the fab shop e-mails that you are getting ... be selective. You don't want to miss sales for things like thread, batting and other notions and tools, and some of them also run contests and such. You never know .. one of them might just have a contest to win a full set of Creative Grids rulers, or a color pack of 30 of your favorite threads.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM

I joined last year. Was it a success ? For me yes. I normally spend 100 to 300 per month on fabric. 2012 I cut it back to under 50. Some months I didn't spend anything. I bet I spent under 500. This year maybe 0.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm in! reorganized my sewing room last summer and admitted there's more than I can use in my lifetime. I've been making chariity baby quilts, finishing UFOs, made pillowcases, and anything else to use yardage. BUT I could not completely break my buying fabric ''addiction''. I love fabric - it's color, feel, and sometimes great sale prices. Well, you know. Maybe by making this commitment, we can help each other
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
PaperPrincess ....

Just curious. How many of the folks that joined last year were able to make it through November?

Don't know, because I shopped my brains out last year, so now I'm drowning in fabric!
When I was thinking about kicking this off, I searched for prior years to see how it was managed. I found the 2011 challenge posts, but couldn't find anything formal for 2012. Might not have used the right search criteria, but I did find this post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t180569.html
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM

Well, I hit the sale at my local Fabricland yesterday. I got all of my stash out, it is pretty small now. I can fit it all on my cutting table with gaps between when I layer them on an angle. No light backgrounds left so I got about 10 yds of neutrals to applique on-they are hard to come by here, and a bit of mesh for an art quilt. I have met my goal, I started about 5 years ago to use stash as much as possible.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mtngrl View Post
Well, I hit the sale at my local Fabricland yesterday. I got all of my stash out, it is pretty small now. I can fit it all on my cutting table with gaps between when I layer them on an angle. No light backgrounds left so I got about 10 yds of neutrals to applique on-they are hard to come by here, and a bit of mesh for an art quilt. I have met my goal, I started about 5 years ago to use stash as much as possible.
Good for you!!!!