Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Move Over Honey BooBoo For Buckwild in West Virginia >

Move Over Honey BooBoo For Buckwild in West Virginia

Move Over Honey BooBoo For Buckwild in West Virginia

Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

What happened to the days of GOOD TV for entertainment? I am sick, sick, sick of Pawn Stars, American Pickers, HBB, Kardashians, Housewives of WHERE EVER, etc. Maybe I am just getting old but give me I Love Lucy, Mayberry RFD, Murder She Wrote and all that old fashioned entertainment.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM

I was born and raised in WV and it makes me mad to see any state put in bad light like this will do to WV. WV has always been subjected to this kind of dribble and to the bad jokes. Those who are in the know will say it is a beautiful state with many beautiful people. Like everywhere else, there are those blighted areas and people who are not the most sophisticated. Too bad the media likes to show the blight and the less sophisticated to make a buck. I do not watch any reality shows because they are mostly scripted anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM

And I am wondering how many of you guys know where the term Redneck started. It actually started back in the 1930's when the union coal miners were battling the owners for their rights. Many marched across the mtns to Logan and wore red bandanas so they would be able to recogize the union men from the enemy---because if you know the history---there were gun battles.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM

I appreciate these posts! I've been a life-long resident of WV and can't believe the people who believe the stereotypes. My quilting friends are just too intelligent to think all of us West Virginians are like that.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Television really has become a vast wasteland. My husband and I record the few shows we want to watch and then he watches football during the season. Other than that, the flat screen stays off. We often go 5-7 days without looking at the idiot box...and don't miss it one iota.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM

I wont watch it, these tv shows are trash, it is making fun of people and a state....my blood is from West Virginia, my dad lives there as does my family, I am proud and hope to move there in time, my heart is there, so this makes it hurt a little, I get tired of people being made fun of no matter where it is they are from. I feel sad that people who are in these types of shows allow them selves to even be on them, sigh.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM

For all those who want to go back in time to good tv, see if you have ME TV in your area, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart show, The Odd Couple and lots of other oldies....I love that station.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
And I am wondering how many of you guys know where the term Redneck started. It actually started back in the 1930's when the union coal miners were battling the owners for their rights. Many marched across the mtns to Logan and wore red bandanas so they would be able to recogize the union men from the enemy---because if you know the history---there were gun battles.
I didn't know this history but I ALWAYS explain to anyone who call "certain" people rednecks. The reason for it in MS was the vast amount of the property owners grew corn, cotton, and other staples and these were NOT gardens. When they worked the fields, the weather being so hot would always create a sunburn tan around the neck and arms where the short sleeves stopped. Being "redneck" to US mean hard working, loving, sharing people. And there were some who were "richy rich" but it was because they owned more acreage. They worked along side the other workers and certainly didn't sit in their air conditioned houses and wait for the money to roll in.

Call me a "redneck" too. I'm proud to be one. Although, when my daddy planted the"garden" the rows were miles long and we were up a dawn picking whatever was ready at that time.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM

I can't stand most reality tv. Have watched a few shows based in Alaska and have learned some interesting things. A few of the animal themed shows you can also learn something. The rest- with all the "dangerous And dramatic stuff? No thanks. There's enough legitimate drama in real life who needs the Hollywood egotistical stuff- and danger? How much danger can there be for people "roughing it" with 150 TV staff people just out of camera range...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Explain to your 'grands' that the 'f' word is a word for an act of violent forced sexual assault. That alone makes it offensive to me.

You won't turn 'it' around. They'll continue using it, no doubt,as it makes them feel cool. But they will know one of the reasons it is offensive to you. That's a start. Maturity might do the rest of the job.