Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!! Is there a Step 1? >

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Help!!! Is there a Step 1?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
Yes Yes, Yes, - Step 1 is getting this book by Harriet Hargrave & Carrrie Hargrave: Quilter's Academy Vol. 1 - Freshman Year - A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking. ISBN # 978 1 57120 594 0
Available at Amazon.com. I have her entire series and start with page 1, chapter 1 and just go though it page by page. It teaches you everything, and I do mean everything. Well written. Easy to follow. Excellet results Welcome to quilting. It will give you a lifetime of pleasure and satisfaction!!!
I absolutely second this book nomination! I've been slowly blogging my way through the book. I am now reading volume 2 and volume 3 is on my shelf.

As to your recent questions:

Hey everyone. Sorry if I have a lot of questions but here are a few more.
1. Do using precut squares of fabric make beginner quilting a lot easier?
2. Is ironing necessary for making quilts?
3. Are precut squares more or less expensive than buying yards of fabric?

1. While they seem easier, not all precuts are alike, and some are cut off square. Your basic toolbox should include a rotary cutter, mat and one or two rulers.
2. I think ironing is a very important part of creating accurate seams (as is the judicious use of starch). At the very least you will want to be able to press the creases and folds out of fabric as you are getting ready to use it.
3. Precuts are often more expensive than yardage, sometimes substantially so.

Cheers, K
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 PM

CraftyPerson, I wish we lived closer (I am in New England). I teach sewing and quilting here and would love to teach you. We could trade lessons for something. I have machines and fabric and all the tools. I would really enjoy teaching such an enthusiastic young lady. Since I'm not there, try youtube.com and your local library. Also ask questions at your local craft/fabric or quilt store. I made my first quilts using my old clothing - can you do that? Just be sure the fabric is the same, such as 100 percent cotton OR use a foundation fabric and do a string quilt. If you are interested in a string quilt, say so and I'll find more resources for you. A jelly roll race quilt, or another name is the 1600 quilt, is easy. You can google jelly roll quilts or string quilts for ideas; if I knew how to attach photos I'd show you some of the ones I've made.

Is there a grandmother in your neighborhood or an older neighbor that would trade you sewing lessons for vacuuming or mowing the grass?

Cricket
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 PM

Ask someone who quilts, they would probably be glad to help you get started. I would in a minute. You an do it. I started with squares and arranged them, not too good at that, and sewed them together.. It is still one of my favorite ev en if it as not very good.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Swap Hosts

First of all, any advice I would give from my personal experience, you wouldn't want to hear. Not knowing how to do something never stopped me. Whew. That's out of the way.
I would go to the library and pick up The Quilting Bible. It's an easy step by step book that will show you what to do.
Keep it simple to start.
Ask lots of questions here. Quilters are a wonderful group and you will get a lot of support and advice.
Start with a small project. You might like to join the Doll Quilt Swap group.
Or .. you can do what I did. Just do it.
Find fabrics that make your heart sing.
Cut and snip to your heart's content.
Stitch away. Be happy. Experiment.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 AM

Alex Anderson's book on beginning quilting is wonderful...that's how I got started. JoAnn's may have it or any quilt shop. Also a beginning quilt class at your local quilt shop is a good way to get started. I took about 3 classes.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Jenny Dorn from Missouri Star Quilting has great get started tutorials. And they are free and you can watch them when ever you have time. Have you checked with your schools FACs Teachers. Some teachers are really good and they can either lead you some good get started projects or maybe get you into a class at school. Does you area have a 4H. They have some great classes in sewing and quilting. Good luck and don't give up, there are a lot of places and people to get your started.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Is there a 4-H in your area? Check into quilting with them. You'll be with students more your own age and get a good solid basic start. After that the sky is the limit.
if no 4-H, I'd check with your church for a quilters group and lessons.
Remember to have fun and enjoy your new adventure.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Default Getting started

Go to your local quilt shop and sign up for beginning quilting classes........I believe that is the best way to get started. Then you can go on and seek out other learning opportunities. Good Luck
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM

When I started quilting 2 years ago I stumbled upon Jenny Doan's tutorials at Missouri Star Quilt Company. Her tutorials are really good and now that my daughter has started quilting she is doing them. I have a Janome QDC3160 which I like a lot. Happy quilting!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM

I am a self taught quilter. I am also disabled, in a wheelchair and only have use of 1 arm/hand. If I can do it ANYONE can. I took up quilting after I was disabled. I started out on line reading about a free block a month. I started with some used clothing and disassembled it and ironed it. I used a discarded flannel sheet for backing , an inexpensive sewing machine (mail order) and a well used bed topper for filling. That was 8 years ago and I am still learning new techniques and the rest is history.