2013 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Fed Ex just left me a package. I ordered some neutrals at 11:00 New Year's Eve (just before the cutoff!). I'm hoping this will be the last one till November (or beyond). Still sorting and organizing my stash.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-07-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM

I need some control power. Happily we received a call this week from a relative with a newborn. I had made my famous burp pads for the baby shower. Our nephew asked if it would be possible to buy more pads as they worked so nicely. Now DH knows two families really like these pads!!!

Of course, I was tickled pink that I had something they could use and enjoy. I gladly gave them my entire understock!
Then today I realized that I don't have much flannel left for the other gifts I want to make ..... honest....

If I do go to Joann's next week and "check out" the flannel on sale, I must limit myself to yardage for the total number of pads I need to make. It takes 1 yard to make two pads. Two cuts of 24" x 20" and two cuts of 12" x 20" means you can mix and match the fabric designs.

Meanwhile, I am sewing with the precuts from my stash and preparing to selectively cut more stash. :-)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Wow I am so jealous of your stashes. I wish I had that much but usually only buy what I am working on. Everything I own for fabric would fit in one tub about a medium size. I'll keep wishing and wishing . Maybe my fabric would grow. LOL
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Hello, folks. I am going to give this a try. I will be participating in a BOM at my LQS but beyond that and the projects that go with it I am NOT buying. I actually purchased several kits from a the widower of a quilter this past year.

Just cleaned sewing room and fabric stash (in two rooms!) to inventory. Good luck to all! I am also hoping to use some of the precuts I have some how collected. I bought one of the Schnibbles books and plan to start there.

Last edited by MaryLane; 01-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 AM

So far I've made two tops, entirely from stash - from a mystery here on the Board and the other was a Jelly Roll Race quilt made from a Bali Pop. Funny thing about the Jelly roll quilt - was supposed to be able to be made in half an hour. took me an hour and a half! Guess I wouldn't win that race. Here's a photo of the mystery quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scrappy stars email size.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	387580  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 AM

That turned out nice, paulswalia. Ok, opinion needed. I have been really perfect, not buying ANYTHING since my last order from Hancocks on 12/24 ( which ended up being 17 yards of mostly Mliss Alexander blenders), but just got an order for 2 jeans bags with specific fabric themes and I don't have either in my stash! I HAVE to buy 2 yards of fabric!! Does that count? It isn't going into my stash, but it means I need to buy more fabric!! I just hope I can stay strong and NOT be tempted by those narcotic fumes emitted by the fabrics, enticing and seducing you into buying more!!! Maybe I should just stick to trying to find it on-line, and at least avoiding those narcotic fumes!! Oh, and I was SO proud of myself for resisting even going into a fabric store!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Jill, IMO, it's okay in your case when it's a special order and is not going into your stash. It will be a test to go into the store and only buy two yards, but you can do it.

paulswalia, your scappy stars looks good. I like the star color.

I finished my baby quilt and only bought enough for the back from the clearance rack. It's brighter than the picture, but the picture is from a phone because my camera balked at the last minute.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387613[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby T's quilt.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	387613  

Last edited by irishrose; 01-12-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM

That is really lovely, irishrose! Ok, I will really focus on looking for the particular material, and try not to be seduced into buying more!! One fabric is Scooby Doo, and I know Joanns (which is the closest to me - 30 minutes away) has licensed character fabrics, so I think I'll check there after looking on line. The other is magnolias, which I hope to find as well. I have checked three online shops so far, and struck out. I'll keep going. I really can't afford to pay $10.00-$12.00/yard and still charge what I do, so hope Joanns has them and I can at least get them on sale or with a coupon.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM

I caved, sorta. My LQS is closing and on the last day the owner called me. Fat quarters were 50 cents,fabric was all 3$ a yard...so I had her set aside all the white and cream stuff for me. Does it count if I send some to my sister?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM

I blew it today, my favorite quilt store moved and today was their grand re-opening. they had lots of sales going on. Bought 4 yds of batiks that were end of the bolt sales 20% off and for being in their computer I got $10.00 off for spending over $20. so got a great deal. I got in the car and did a head slap......mom is like what. told her i commited to not buying fabric for the year. UGH ok now no more buying unless it is for an unfinished project.