Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be? >

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

This discussion always reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about muffin tops. Since most people like them better than the rest of the muffin they decided to just sell just the tops. But what to do with the "stumps?" Why not donate them to the homeless. But it turned out the homeless didn't want the stumps either. Moral: Just because people are homeless or in need doesn't mean they should be given inferior items. Just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM

The way I see it is that it's not about being perfect. I know I have made quilts to donate that aren't my greatest. I practice different quilting styles on them. Kids are not as picky and don't see the imperfections that us adults do. Not saying you should put anything in that you know the fabric is bad. My daughter was given a quilt from the hospital when my oldest was in the hospital. There is a group of people that make quilts for all the kids in the hospital and they asked if they could give quilts to my other two kids too. It was very kind of them. The one quilt my daughter got had strawberry shortcake fabric and the fabric was misprinted...and really bad. Half of the fabric you cannot even tell it's her. My daughter LOVES it. She lays it on her pillow everynight when she goes to sleep. It is the thought that counts and it doesn't have to be perfect for them to love and enjoy it. It's something that I would have given to a shelter to use for an animal, but my daughter says it was made for her and she cherishes it.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM

I hope no one minds if I (a newbie) chime in on this with a very firm opinion. A little background on me so you know where I am coming from. I was raised in an affluent family. I went to college, then grad school for psych - worked with all kinds of psych populations (all ages, from 1.5 (autism) on up). Then I went to law school - worked crimininal defense (juvenile and adult). Then I got sick and could no longer work. I moved cross country for health insurance reasons. Without going into too much detail, I wound up homeless for a time. You sleep where you can - find food where you can... I was fortunate to move through the waiting list and now live in disabled housing. I began quilting in a free class offered at a local "women's sanctuary" for low income and homeless women. I am forever greatful for the opportunity to be involved in their art program - it is truly amazing what they do.

With that as a background, here are my thoughts on this topic: No one should be using fabrics that are of such poor quality that they will not stand up to use. I am not really familiar with different fabric types, but the fabrics used should "work" for the purpose for which they are intended. In my newbie opinion, I would keep like fabrics with like fabrics. Similarly, the quality of the workmanship and construction should stand up to use. Otherwise, what is the point?

Other than that, your charitable quilting decisions, IMHO should ENTIRELY be based on the intended recipients of those works. Sorry, but there ARE ugly babies and there ARE ugly quilts. (I am not a horrible person - really I am not!)

I am not going to address the issue of quilts going overseas, as I have no idea what the intended uses are. I will, however, address a few other charitable groups.

Quilts for the homeless - well, what kind of homeless?

- Individuals who chose to stay outside rather than to stay at a shelter (or who can not get into a shelter) need to be warm and dry. Quilts for these people need to help keep them warm and dry. THEY DO NOT NEED PRETTY!!! As others have said, pretty is likely to be stolen. Or sold for drugs or alcohol. Or given away in exchange for a sandwich. etc. Darker colors are better, as these quilts will often be in the dirt. These quilts must be big enough to keep a person warm, yet compact enough to be carried around ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. If I were making such a quilt and I had the tallent, I would quilt an inspirational message or words of hope into the quilt (remember not all people are religious, and not all religious people are christian). Maybe something like "Just know that there are people out here thinking of you today and every day and wishing you well". Think function, function, function, with a little love.

- Individuals who choose to stay in shelters are rarely given quilts to keep. Rather, the quilts stay with the "beds".

Donating quilts to shelters: There are two kinds of shelters, "wet" and "dry".

In a wet shelter, people are allowed to stay even if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. These shelters generally screen people as the arrive (think airport security), but drugs are so easy to smuggle in and are rampant. The sleeping areas are typically large rooms consisting of row after row of metal framed bunk beds (think prison). These shelters typically supply guests with army blankets, if there are enough. Each time you stay at a given shelter, you are assigned a different bunk. Blankets are fought over and treated roughly. No one is looking at their blanket day after day laid out on their bed thinking "oh, how pretty". I don't know if these types of shelters even take donations of quilts. If donating to such a shelter, however, again think of how these quilts are going to be used. Think function. DO NOT MAKE THEM PRETTY!!! They WILL be stolen and sold very cheaply. Again, darker colors are best as the blankets in these shelters rarely get washed. Again, an inspirational message could rarely hurt.

In a dry shelter, guests must remain sober throughout the course of their stay. They are drug tested. These shelters usually accept guests for a longer period of time. Rooms typically have 2-6 beds and there are rarely bunk beds. Guests at these shelters are assigned a bed for the duration of their stay. They can leave whatever belongings they feel comfortable leaving in their bed space while they are out during the day. It is hard to get into these types of shelters. Guests are usually weary from the difficulties of homelessness and in much need of a comforting rest. I can tell you from experience, there is something very comforting about being given something lovely to put on "your" bed. PRETTY COUNTS HERE!!! I am planning on making quilts for this type of shelter (once I learn how). These quilts do not need to be your best work - seams don't need to match perfectly, you can swerve outside the ditch as much as you want. Colors and patterns don't have to be "show quality". You do not need to use designer fabrics. But, IMHO - you should show a little love and respect. Don't just slap together whatever and think "they should be greatful". Give it a little extra, it will mean so much to the whole string of individuals fortunate enough to spend time in that bed. Also remember, these quilts are going to be washed frequenty, so they need to be sturdy.

- Individuals transitioning into housing. Some organizations accept donations for individuals who are transitioning from homelessness into a place of their own. These individuals have been through a lot. IMHO, these quilts should be your best work. Not necessarily intricate or tedious, but they should be something YOU would be willing to give to someone you loved. Isn't the main point of charitable giving really about sharing love? Share it with these individuals and most of them will cherrish your gift for a long time.

Quilts for disaster relief:

This is a totally different situation once again, they need them now and they need alot. They may not be needed for very long, but they are needed NOW. Churn them out.

Quilts of Valor and Quilts for the gravely ill:

Think about the meaning behind these quilts. Think about what they stand for. I would not make one unless I had the skills, used quality materials, and did my best work. It's all about respect.

Quilts for NICU losses - I have no words. I only hope that one day I have the talent to make a quilt that would be worthy of such a cause.

I know I have left a bunch of groups out. These are just the thoughts that were in my head after reading this thread. One final thought - the actual recipient of the quilt may not be overly concerned about what the quilt looks like if they are impaired, etc., but their loved ones will notice. I guess in those cases, it is a question of quality vs. quantity. I, for one, would hate to visit my grandma and see an ugly quilt in her lap. I would rather see a wally world special. But that is just me.

So, jumping off my newbie soap box now... Let's get back to ugly babies! lol

Last edited by AndysC; 01-13-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Thank you! I appreciate your sharing your knowledge based on facts and experience. Everything else we have heard seems to be opinion based on hearsay and thin air. Your entry should be copied and displayed in every workroom where charity quilts are produced and distributed! I hope your recovery is advancing as well as possible and I am sincerely sorry that you have had to trod this path. Again, thank you for sharing this valuable information. Good luck to you, and God Bless.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AndysC View Post
. . . these quilts should be your best work. Not necessarily intricate or tedious, but they should be something YOU would be willing to give to someone you loved. Isn't the main point of charitable giving really about sharing love? Share it with these individuals and most of them will cherrish your gift for a long time.
I just wanted to re-post this statement from your post because I think it best sums up what charity should be all about and I hope everyone reads your complete post.

Thank you for sharing, Maribeth
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

AndysC,
Thank you, thank you for your thoughtful, thorough, experienced response. We shall all benefit from your knowledge. Tanya responded best to you, and thank her for that, too; may you be continue to be blessed as you yourself progress and improve your life. We are fortunate to have you as a member here.

Jan in VA
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM

i think if the fabric is washed thoroughly to make sure it will hold up then you could cut strips or small squares and make some lovely scrappy or patchwork quilts. i guess i am very frugal and would try to use just about anything but if its really just not suitable you could try to trade or just donate to goodwill. they will recycle it with their other scraps. maybe swap here too.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Holice,

THANK YOU for posting the info and the link for the website.

I read through it and am going to talk to the local homeless
shelter in Denver soon.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
If the fabric is too "ugly" for quilts to be sent to Third World Countries, then consider the
Sleeping Bag Project. Info is at: http://www.uglyquilts.org/

This organization wants deliberately made ugly quilts.

I was offended when I first heard of these quilts. That is, until I read about their program.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Here's our situation: the stash consists of over a dozen of large boxes of "textiles" that have been donated over the course of I don't know how many years. In the boxes are everything from new fabric (cotton, blends, T-shirt knits, double-knits) to fabric that was on the shelf so long that it has really obvious fade marks to curtain panels, old tablecloths, and lots of sheets, from faded-but-serviceable to nearly worn through.

And a number of different thoughts were expressed at the meeting, such as:

"Why should we buy ANYTHING to work with, when we have so much stash already."

"Don't insist on just cotton. Those double knits we have would make great backs, if only we had some smaller quilts, because they're just not quite wide enough."

"Those double knits - it's just too hard to get the needle through them."

"All those fabrics were donated, and we really should use them as they were intended."

"We've become a dumping ground, every time somebody wants to clean house!"

"Well, if you think our quilts are ugly now, you should have seen what we were working with 40 years ago! We were cutting apart clothing to use..."

There is a wide range of ages in this quilting group, and some have lived through the depression and some haven't. (I suppose that changes one's perspective.)

The quilts are all going overseas. We're not actually quilting them, just tying through with perle cotton (or similar). I don't believe all the fabrics would wash succesfully, but the point was mentioned that if the quilts are just to serve as a wall or a rug, they might not ever get washed anyway.

I don't think we're even at the point where we're discussing taste or aesthetics or colors, really. The quilts are just 8" squares sewn together. We're talking REALLY BASIC quilts here.

A couple of the ladies cut the 8" squares (very accurately, I must say) and sewers get handed a bag of 108 pre-selected squares to put together however we please. Some in the group don't cut, or sew, they just help layer & tie.
same problem, i think, that every group like this has. i know our guild does too. we have a small group of members in charge of our community quilts. i think the fact that they are few but in charge really helps. too many cooks can spoil the broth.

they go through donations and decide what gets used and what gets sent off to charity shops, like goodwill, that take bulk fabric. (things like threadbare sheets and fabrics that are inappropriate, like sheer or too worn). they also communicate to the guild some general guidelines.

they have used knits when there is someone willing to sew them. our goal, as i am sure yours is, is to put together warm quilts and get them to the ones who need them. however, we don't ever want to think that trashy or poor quality is good enough.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM

I think I missed something. Why can't you pick out the 8 inch squares yourself?

I would keep the same textiles together.

If it is not washable- I would not use it in a quilt.

I would also decide as a group what type of fabric is needed. Cut the other stuff up for rags and sell the rag bags and get nice fabric.