Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Fist Quilt for 2013 >

Fist Quilt for 2013

Fist Quilt for 2013

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
Can you divide up the pattern into sections, so it would fit into your printer? I've hand drawn patterns on tracing paper, but then you still have the paper to pick out.
Oh I don't want to do that lol. It's bad enough piecing three section of the square pineapple block. My printer prints on 11x17, so for the square blocks, it takes two sheets, plus one 8.2x11 for the rest and that's not too bad, at least I can print it out. I did trace a diamond on freezer paper for the rest of the blocks that I will need for the borders and I think I can get them all with the one FP pattern.

On picking out the paper? I just scrounge up and snap the paper back and it all comes out and if there is a tiny piece hidden, I just spray it with a little water but I hardly ever have to do that.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 01-11-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Half the diamonds are done now. I hope to do two more today. It takes about 2.5 hours to do one block. Each strip has to be pinned at each end. I don't press the strips. I finger press the strips. I sew on two strips at a time, one on each opposite end. Then finger Press and trim and then another two. I get up after each two strips, which is a good thing to do. It wouldn't be good to sit through a whole block.

If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	star2.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	387505  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM

The diamonds are not sewed together yet, they are just pinned to the board as you can see the strips are matching nicely. I like what is happening in the middle. The quilt will be different and that is a good thing.

I think she used a different degree diamond than the one I bought in the package. I'm not sure which one I have but the ones she used in the fairy quilt has to be the narrowest point diamond. I know there are 45, 30, 60 degree diamonds.

My quilt will definitely have a different look but the idea will still be there.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 01-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
Oh I don't want to do that lol. It's bad enough piecing three section of the square pineapple block. My printer prints on 11x17, so for the square blocks, it takes two sheets, plus one 8.2x11 for the rest and that's not too bad, at least I can print it out. I did trace a diamond on freezer paper for the rest of the blocks that I will need for the borders and I think I can get them all with the one FP pattern.

On picking out the paper? I just scrounge up and snap the paper back and it all comes out and if there is a tiny piece hidden, I just spray it with a little water but I hardly ever have to do that.
I guess when I think of it, most of the patterns I choose for pp, have lots of skinny spikes, so picking paper out of them is a pain. I'll stick with my freezer paper.

I can see how my idea wouldn't work for you. I didn't realize your diamond and square blocks were so large. You're lucky you can print as big a sheet as you can. What's the finished quilt size to be?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 AM

It's beautiful. I would love to have ago as i find pp so reatful to do where can I find the pattern and how do you calculate the fabri please?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
It's beautiful. I would love to have ago as i find pp so reatful to do where can I find the pattern and how do you calculate the fabri please?
Dottymo, the book and patterns can be bought at Amazon.com. The book is called Pineapple Stars and so is the paper Packet. The books come with a couple patterns that you can trace to freezer paper if you do that technique, if not then you would have to purchase the packet of papers.

Bear in mind that the quilt I am making is not in the book. I am just looking at a picture and using her paper to make that particular quilt that she showed a picture of. All the same any quilt made out of the Star pineapple will be beautiful.

My quilt will be slightly different as the middle of the star is bigger and the rings surround the middle are very prominent. Once the square pineapples go in, it will have another look.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM

One diamond to go. I think I will quit for tonight lol....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	star six leaves.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	387766  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Georgeous ~ good luck !
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Yikes rosey! This is so out of my attention span range! Good luck to you and please post your progress as you go along.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM

I'm stuck between saying OMG and Holy Cow! What an endeavor! Could you post during the process?