Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann >

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM

What is a hobby lobby :? Edie
Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 AM

A PERFECT example of why I do not shop at JoAnn's. Be careful. They do this consistently. They will put up a sale sign in front of fabric that isn't actually on sale, or one bolt out of 20 will be - you get to guess which one! They are also good at putting a specific width on sale, but the fabric on the shelf is a different width. I honestly don't see how they have stayed in business.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 AM

A note on Hobby Lobby (where I tend to shop for middle of the road fabrics as well...) They are closed on Sundays because they are owned by a Christian family who believes we should be spending Sundays with our families and not working. I know, I know...I, too, have gone by there on a Sunday after church before remembering, but I really think I kind of like the idea.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM

LOL, I have gotten to the point that I don't like to go to JoAnn's or Hancock's for the very reasons that everyone has mentioned.
I don't know if anyone has noticed this or not but when you go to use your coupon everything is "on sale" for the items that are advertized in the store so your 40% or 50 % coupons are not any good because it excludes those "sale" items. Anything that is of any worth is on sale even the items that are not in the circular or posted on a sign! I get so angry. I would rather pay more for my fabric and get my 10% guild discount then go through all the hassles that come with shopping at these stores. I am also finding this same problem at Michael's too, but we do not have an alternative, so I am stuck with them.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM

I don't think Joann's hires people for their sewing knowledge. I need some HEAVYweight interfacing which you have to ask for from the ladies at the cutting table. The employee picks up the first bolt she comes to and says "this is the heaviest we have". It was featherweight!. I had to insist she keep looking and she repeated that the the featherweight was a heavyweight interfacing. (gimme a break!) Finally another employee stepped in with a heavyweight interfacing. I like Joann's because of their coupons and selection of tools and notions, but don't go there expecting any intelligent answers to your sewing/quilting questions or salespeople who know anything about what they're selling.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM

I am sorry so many of you had had bad experiences at JoAnn's. I have nothing but good things to say about the JoAnn's in Fort Wayne. They bend over backwards to make things right. I really haven't run into anyone who doesn't have the answer or can't get someone who does. Makes me very thankful for our JoAnn's. Of all my shopping trips there (sometimes 3 times a week), I have had only one bad experience and I have since recovered from that. I only wish you all had the Fort Wayne JoAnn's in your areas.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM

I have made enough 'dumb' mistakes during sales by not reading labels or signs right. I'm in a hurry & just grab something only to find out it's the wrong item! But when you're RIGHT, you're RIGHT! She was really a 'case' & you were very smart to keep at it! Congratulations!! :lol:
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Several years ago my daughter ordered a gift card for me from the Joann's Interent site, sio it arrived directly from Joann's. when I tried to use it it wasn't recognized by the register. The clerk called the manager over, I explained how I receved the gift card as a gift & even had the envelope it came in, I was calm, not upset thinking the manager would fix it when the manager rudely said "you could have just taken this off the rack!" The rack of unactivated gift cards was next to the register.
Since I am a senior citizen & have never stolen or been accused of it I was shocked & heartbroken to be accused of stealing,
I called Joann's & was told I was supposed to call them to activate the card before I used it- There was nothing in the envelope or on the card to indicate it needed to be activated!
I wrote to Joann's corporate office about the incident & how I was so extremely rudely treated, especially when I hadn't been arguing or rude to them.
I never received an answer of any kind.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Yes Hancocks is friendlier and more knowledgable. However, my local Hancock does not have enough stock. I always have to go to Joann's in order find what I need. Whenever I ask Hancocks about ordering something they do not have in stock, I am told that the home office will not let them order it. So off to JoAnn's I go.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Thank you, trupeach. me too.
Originally Posted by trupeach
Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
I too was at JA this weekend. Need to replace my Ott lite bulb. Wow 50% off, cool. But can't use my coupon. Oh yea, need some batting - 40% off again can not use my coupon. okay go to checkout maybe get a quilt magazine...NOT they are 10% off.

Of course we all know that 'now' we are only able to use the coupons on NON 'sale' items. So, mentioned to the gal at the register, that I sure miss being able to use my coupon on any product "which ever is the greatest sale price". She said to me the reason it changed was it was not fair to the on-line customers. :?: I said that they needed to get off you know what and shop in the store.

So, they scanned my address. That's the only thing that my flyer was good for.

I am disabled and have not be able to leave my house for almost 5 years. That is right 5 years I can't go in a car into a store and any place else for that matter. SOME people can't get off their you know what to get to a store. If it wasn't for on line shopping I would be sitting in my house doing nothing with my thumb up my you know what. Until you have been in that position don't assume people are lazy.