Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann >

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I think a helpful attitude goes a long way in keeping a customer happy.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Whoever decided to have the sale was probably some bean-counter who has no idea of what "batting" is. It was just an item on the inventory list. And the manager is just plain dumb.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM

I don't dislike the fact that Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays except that I work at Time Warner Cable and shop on my lunch hours on Saturday & Sundays. I personally wish all retail stores would be closed on Sundays, but sadly there would definitely be a group to protest that. :wink:

Hobby Lobby is a craft, art, accessory chain store similar to Michael's if you are familiar with it.

As far as poorly trained employees, it seems to be easier to find them these days as many are just there to get a paycheck albeit very small.
Every company should have better trained employees, but so few take the time to train properly anymore. I just went to Office Max & was greeted at the door by a manager that was so helpful I almost fainted. I was on my lunch hour & rushing, but he had me what I went in for & more so fast I had extra time. And I move slowly! I like to look at everything :) I was totally shocked, and delighted.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't go to Joann's much any more.
I do remember quite well once going there and I wanted
some velvet to finish a crazy quilt lap robe. The young
"clerk" looked kinda fuzzy when I asked where the velvet was,
and she asked what that was!!!

An older lady and I just looked at each other and sighed,
then tried to explain that it was a lovely material that felt like a kitten's fur when you rubbed your hands over it.

That at least sparked a vague memory, and she wondered
around till she found the kitten fur material for me.

Now I try to pick up such stuff in yard sales, it's lots easier on my nerves, and pocket too!

Sigh...what ARE they teaching sales clerks nowadays? Or do they simply take anyone who appears sober?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM

I absolutely LOVE our local Home Depot. I'm a 76 year old
lady, and since I'm widowed, I do a lot of the needed and wanted work around the house. Now I'm building a window seat and taking out old carpeting. I went to Home Depot for some supplies. The clerks there are SO helpful. One of them actually took me around and looked up what I wanted, he even questioned another customer who had just taken up carpeting, then together they took me to a display of carpet knives, and chose for me the best one, one that was NOT the most expensive!!

I LOVE Home Depot!!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

There are pockets of competency - it probably isn't fair to bash a whole store/chain just because of one or two - unhappy/frustrating experiences.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM

I recently went to Hancocks with a coupon for "40% off fabric" to buy batting. The sales clerk told me that batting wasn't considered "fabric" and I couldn't use the coupon. I argued with her and the manager to no avail. Hancock's doesn't consider batting a fabric but they couldn't tell me just exactly what batting is.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

My local JoAnn's is a fairly good place. Most of the sales people are knowledgeable about what is in the store. And most of them do sew. The manager quilts also. Only problems I have had were when I know what I want but it isn't made. I don't have a Hancock's near me, so I don't know about them. I do have a Hobby Lobby and the girls there do not sew. But, the store does reorder fabric.

As for coupons, it does irritate that everything is on sale and you can't use the coupons. Mostly, I just look now anyway.

If one did not know a thing about sewing, it would take quite a while to learn, if one were willing. I know of one business that does not require sales people to know anything about the product. They say they can teach anyone to sell the product. In this case it was sewing machines. There is a set of instructions and demos one has to master, but there is no requirement to learn to sew. And some of those who did not sew were the top producers.

Rude sales people seem to be everywhere these days. Wonder how they keep their jobs?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM

I always use my 40% or 50% coupon for my batting. Just got some day before yesterday. AT JOANN'S!!!! We don't have a Hancock within ten minutes of us, so when JoAnn doesn't have the stuff, I generally will call Hancock and see if they have it in stock - if not, I just wait! There was a woman next to me who, when she gets a 40-50% off coupon, buys a whole bolt of Warm and Natural batting - That is my favorite too! She says "You'll always use it." So, now when I get my next coupon, I will get a bolt of Warm and Natural.

Not to change the subject.... I am getting ready to hand quilt a baby quilt. I have some Variations embroidery thread and was thinking of using that as the thread to quilt with. It has a really nice effect when you embroider. I was wondering if any of you know about how many threads I should use. I am thinking 4? Help! I want to start on this today. I am all pinned down and ready to rumble!!!!!! Edie
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Have you noticed that every thing you need and have a Joann's coupon for is marked down and is on sale. This means that you can not use your coupon because it is sale merchandise. It feels like they are getting you coming and going!