Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using fleece instead of batting >
  • Using fleece instead of batting

• Using fleece instead of batting

Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM

I have used old thrift polyester blankets also. Our ancestors have also used old quilts that were falling apart.
    Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
    Power Poster

I have used fleece as batting on lots of projects. Table runners, mug rugs, quilts for people and quilts for pets. Haven't used them as backing yet (but probably will). I have had no problems (I pre-wash everything) and have quilted by hand and machine and also tied with no dramas.
    Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 AM

I just made 10 quilts for a nursing home and used fleece for the backing. I did not use batting. I did not prewash my quilt top. I also folded the fleece to the front of the quilt to use as the binding. After washing the quilts, I had no problem with the top shrinking. The quilts are washed by the laundry at the nursing home and they come out great!
    Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Stupid question time: Is fleece cheaper than a decent cotton batting? Although, I suppose that's one of those YMMV questions, huh? Depending on where you get it, whether you can find remnant/clearance pieces-parts, or the weight/thickness you purchase.

Warm & Natural is on sale/clearance at Joann's this week for 50% off...$22.xx for queen size. But I don't know how that compares to fleece yardage.
    Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM

I will make a top then use an old sheet for the inside and fleese in the back. (with the fleece on the back you don't need batting)..I have done that for years. and Can I say that is the warmest quilt. If their batting is falling apart then they might have used a cheap batting. I have quilts I made in the 70's and still use them and the batting is fine.
    Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sengell
    I am going to try fleece in next kids quilt. Can you still FMQ with a fleece batting?
    I can't FMQ with my domestic machine, I just can't get the hang of it. So I put mine on my frame & quilt that way. I guess that means yes? The biggest thing is Baste Baste Baste! When loading the fleece on my frame, I have to be super careful not to stretch it, otherwise the quilt will distort.

Originally Posted by Teeler
    Stupid question time: Is fleece cheaper than a decent cotton batting? Although, I suppose that's one of those YMMV questions, huh? Depending on where you get it, whether you can find remnant/clearance pieces-parts, or the weight/thickness you purchase.

Warm & Natural is on sale/clearance at Joann's this week for 50% off...$22.xx for queen size. But I don't know how that compares to fleece yardage.
    Fleece is anywhere from $7-$17/yard for 58" wide. I wouldn't want to do a pieced back out of fleece, because of the bulk of the seams. I also buy my batting in bulk, usually the queen size 40-yd roll. But then, this is part of my income.
    Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

It works fine, just a little slick when quilting and I think it is heavy. I has a better drape then lets say warm and natural.
    Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 AM

I haven't tried fleece for batting but I am going to give it a try. I have a lot of fleece scraps that I am going to zigzag together and try. Does anyone have ideas for scrap fleece?
    Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM

When you say fleece do you mean polar fleece or fleece that sweatshirts are made from. I've used polar fleece on charity quilts for babies and toddlers as the are warm & cuddly but not heavy.
    Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

I have made several this way. I particularly like the idea for foster kids, who really do need something to cuddle. I just bought a bunch of fleece from Marshall Dry Goods for this purpose. I do make a real effort not to have a fleece that pills badly.