Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
But I don't WANT to build a stash...is that "going against the grain?" >

But I don't WANT to build a stash...is that "going against the grain?"

But I don't WANT to build a stash...is that "going against the grain?"

Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM

I buy for the project, never for stash. Now sometimes a fabric just doesn't work out the way I thought it would, or I need a lot less than I thought, but I always buy with a project in mind and I limit myself to only buy 1 project ahead. I live in a tiny space and while I love scrap quilts I don't have room to store any excess yardage. After every couple projects I do something scrappy to keep the stash down.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable. There is no "right" or "wrong" in this.

My mom collects china sets (as in sets of china--English and German, mostly). My sister's family collects "antique toys", my husband collects tools, etc.

If that is not something you like to do, by all means DON'T. If you want to, go ahead--it's your life, your house, your totes, your style of sewing/quilting. There are plenty of people who do only one project at a time. Your totes might be better off holding sweaters or cleaning cloths, etc. (or whatever you want--or NOTHING--you can give them away too).
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't understand not having a stash. It takes no effort to care for or feed a stash, it's not like kids or pets. It costs nothing to maintain a stash, no repairs or medical bills involved. So you don't use it before you die, not your problem anymore and it will bring more happiness to someone else than your clothes, kitchenware and books ever will.

Stash is most definitely enjoyed...the hunt, the find, the pairing up with perfect coordinates all without leaving the house. If you get snowed in for a week or so, you can find exactly what you need for that special project. If a special occasion pops up suddenly, you can easily create an awesome gift with what you already have on hand. If you get an overpowering creative urge in the middle of the night, you can immediately tackle whatever challenge you dream up. If money gets tight for a bit, you don't have to stop making well coordinated quilts. All those things have happened to me at one time or another...or more.

Nope, I'll never give up having a stash. It brings me great joy just by being there...ready for whatever I ask of it.
These are all my thoughts exactly, and I agree 100%, but some people just aren't programmed this way. I guess they think of the stash as "so much clutter".

It's a different way of thinking, but it's ok too if that is how they think.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM

This thread has me in stitches!! I don't cotton to nonsense, but love the plays on words! Best punner is ruler of the world!
Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
I've become a material girl over the years, with more time to grab and stash a bargain than time to sew. Just ask my husband--the material witness.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM

My fabric stash is like my waistline, it just seems to grow. But seriously, both of us are on a cutback this year (do not say the d___t word. I have sold some of it, donated to the goodwill some of it. It is an admirable goal not to increase your stash, but if fabric stashing be your only vice - I say go for it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I don't understand not having a stash. It takes no effort to care for or feed a stash, it's not like kids or pets. It costs nothing to maintain a stash, no repairs or medical bills involved. So you don't use it before you die, not your problem anymore and it will bring more happiness to someone else than your clothes, kitchenware and books ever will.

Stash is most definitely enjoyed...the hunt, the find, the pairing up with perfect coordinates all without leaving the house. If you get snowed in for a week or so, you can find exactly what you need for that special project. If a special occasion pops up suddenly, you can easily create an awesome gift with what you already have on hand. If you get an overpowering creative urge in the middle of the night, you can immediately tackle whatever challenge you dream up. If money gets tight for a bit, you don't have to stop making well coordinated quilts. All those things have happened to me at one time or another...or more.

Nope, I'll never give up having a stash. It brings me great joy just by being there...ready for whatever I ask of it.

I couldnt agree more.. Being out in the country I never know when im gonna get snowed in, or caught with an ice storm outside.. I love that I can sew in the middle of the night and not worry about running out of anything.. Im a fabri-holic and love every minute of it !!!

I say hide that wonderful fabric you found, for another lovely surprise when its located again !!!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Ok, well, maybe I might...

Yeah, I can see where THIS is going...

Maybe I was a little "premature" in thinking that I don't want or need a stash...

Maybe...just maybe (Click Me)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
Yeah, I can see where THIS is going...

Maybe I was a little "premature" in thinking that I don't want or need a stash...

Maybe...just maybe (Click Me)
Wow! What beautiful fabric!

Dina
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
I am much more interested in growing a scrap pile than a stash. Buying for the project works for me.
Me too - and I love the challenge of using up the scraps to create some wild and crazy things!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I never understood the whole stash think. I just hear of all those ladies that die and their stash gets sold off for pennies and they never even enjoyed it. I want to enjoy what I purchase
What makes you think they never even enjoyed it. I certainly enjoy my stash for several hours every day. Actually, this past year I used mostly from my stash and was very thankful I had a stash. I actually spent about a third of what I usually spend for fabric in a year. It wasn't something I planned to do -- it just happened because for most projects I found most, if not all, the fabric in my stash. If I bought fabric, it was to fill in to finish a project.