Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pfaff 130 - I have a sticking problem >

Pfaff 130 - I have a sticking problem

Pfaff 130 - I have a sticking problem

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Pfaff 130 - I have a sticking problem

I have a question about a Pfaff 130. I have one and it is hanging up inside. I have oiled it and oiled it and it just won't run smoothly all of the time. The sicking part is behind the stitch width knob and controls the amount of back and forth movement of the needle bar assembly. It is a square part sliding in a channel. It will do straight stitches and do zig zag too, but when you are doing zig zag and stop it seems to hang up on this part here sometimes when you start back up again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]388304[/ATTACH]
If you give the handwheel a little encouragement it will go just fine. But I don't like that it is sticking. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
~Grant~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pfaff 130 hangup.jpg
Views:	1847
Size:	754.1 KB
ID:	388304  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I got a newer Pfaff - a #78 last Friday and I have a similar problem in the same area - the needle will swing to the left but goes to the right in slow motion and sometimes not at all - I have oiled and oiled and it is still slow motion or doesn't go at all. I'm about ready to apply heat and see if heat helps. I've also wondered if I need a more potent cleaning agent than Tri-flow. I can't think of anything else to do.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM

I have a similar Necchi BU that always had a slight "hitch" and I put it in a hot car in the summer. That apparently loosened up whatever was sticking and allowed the oil that I had previously applied to seep into that sticking part....problem solved. I now give most old machines the "Car treatment".
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM

I got this machine a month and a half ago and it was sticking. I doused it in oil and gave it a time out for a couple of weeks. It was still sticking. I ran it for a while and doused it again and gave it another two week time out and still nothing. Maybe I'll heat it up. With all of the soaking and the time to set do you think it would benefit it to be heated up? I appreciate everyone's input on this, and thank you.
~Grant~
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Perhaps some some Break Clean or Liquid Wrench Penetrating oil? Looks like a dandy place for oil to gum up and get sticky.

Oh and if heat is needed just use the hair drier set on incinerate, that should do it. ( I'm serious on that part. I used heat on two different machines and it took max heat to do the job. )

Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

keep that heat away from anything plastic though... I've got to make sure there isn't any on the Pfaff. Heat will do wonders. I doubt if putting it in my car would cure it right now though.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Joe, I am afraid to use break clean near the painted surfaces. It takes paint off. Where do you get the Triflo Oil anyway? Would an auto parts store carry it? And Miriam, the Pfaff does have some Bakelite but no plastic. I was thinking I would crank up the oven and put it on top of the stove to get the radiant heat from it. Yea, it has been cold here as of late near Chicago. My hand might just freeze to it if I tried leaving it in my car for a while now.
Any other ideas?
~G~
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

You can use a pen type torch, hair dryer, set it near a heater, rice sock, heating pad, furnace duct - someplace warm. You can get Tri-flow at a bicycle shop or from sew-classic - I would discourage you from getting the spray - just a little 2 oz drip tube should keep you for a very long time.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Grant,

Break clean will not take off cured paint, at least I've never had it do that to me. Fresh paint, absolutely. It will take of wax, polish, oil, varnished oil, decals, and it will craze some plastics.

So you use the spray tube, get the tube right next to what you want to clean and give it a little squirt. You don't have to hose it down.

Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM

And I would encourage you to get the Tri-Flow spray, as I have found that solves many problems like this one. Also, first clean off all that oil; too much oil can cause problems, too. It was sewing machine oil, right? 3-in-1 oil would CAUSE that problem and other substances, such as WD40, might cause that problem. It makes the parts sticky.

Get Tri-flow on e-bay or at a bicycle shop.