Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Quilt Question >

Applique Quilt Question

Applique Quilt Question

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM

It sounds like you are doing machine applique. Is that Right? I have done a lot of machine raw edge applique and sometimes I want the thread to show so I use the quilting applique stitch that I can adjust to the width and length I want. Other times I use matching thread to each piece so it doesn't show or the clear or gray monofilament thread so it doesn't show. When I have a lot of pieces meet, I gradually shorten the width of the stitch, for the last 1/2" or so, almost down to nothing where it comes together. Does this make sense?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SandyFay View Post
I just don't understand how to stitch them on the quilt without overlapping the stitches in the center of the flower.
Ok here is how I would do it. I would pre-assemble the flowers first. If you're going to use fusible, apply the fusible to the appliques, put the bottom petals on the parchment with the fusible side down, then lay the upper petals on top. When you get them where you want them, press, fusing them together. You can do this one petal at a time. Then carefully peel the applique off the parchment, place it where you want on the quilt, and fuse it. Then stitch. I would stitch around just the outer edges of the bottom petals, and around ALL edges of the top petals. The stitching on the top petals will lock the bottom petals in place.

You could use this same technique with washable school glue, just be VERY sparing with the glue. Use just a tiny dot every inch or so, you're simply trying to hold the applique in place until you get it stitched. Freezer paper method, same thing - fusible or school glue.

Regarding the stitching - I wouldn't do a satin stitch on this one. Blanket stitch, straight stitch if you've fused or turned the edges 1/4" under, or a small zigzag would work, or you could hand-stitch. Once you're done, you can decide if you want to cut away the background fabric and that center spot where the flowers overlap, or you can just leave it there. Personal preference.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM

If you're set on machine-stitching, I would cut the fabric a little bigger around the outside, fold it under, and stabilize using fusible. Then I'd straight-stitch around the pieces right at the edges.

Personally, I prefer to needle-turn applique - no visible stitches!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM

I am just taking up applique, this looks very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe View Post
This link might explain it better than I did:
http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/begin...le-interfacing
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Thank you, I will practice first and try this!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 AM

Yes I'm doing machine applique. I'm stitching fusible to the back of the petal then making a slit in the fusible and turning them. I just didn't want a "wod" of thread where all the petals meet in the center. Thanks for your answer.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SandyFay View Post
I'm stitching fusible to the back of the petal then making a slit in the fusible and turning them.
I'm surprised to learn that you're "stitching" fusible to the back. Can you not fuse it? Or are you using a fusible that is really more of an interfacing, with the glue on one side only? You are welcome to use that, and there is nothing wrong with it. I just want to say there IS a product called fusible web that is nothing but the glue, and will therefore be less bulky. You can fuse it onto the wrong side of the applique pieces (sandwich the fabrics between two sheets of parchment paper first, so you don't get glue on your iron or your board), then fuse the applique pieces onto the background.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

yes, the instructions said to stitch fusible on the petal, then slit the interfacing and turn right side out, then press each petal in place.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM

I like the fusible interfacing process. I don't find it particularly bulky, and I find the finished project much softer. And, I still have the option of hand stitching the interfaced piece down, if I want. Yes, you can trim the fusible wonder under to create windows to make the appliques less stiff, but I find that time consuming and I have to sew those down by machine.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM

Hi, I have another question for you. LOL When you get ready to quilt the front to the back are you going to stitch around your blooms first and then stitch a pattern to the rest of the quilt or are you planning on stitching a pattern over the entire quilt petals and all? I cannot find any pictures showing a pattern as to how it would look.