Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mats >

cutting mats

cutting mats

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM

I have a Dritz cutting mat and I honestly haven't had any problems with it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 PM

My favorite is the omnigrid. I find it is a little firmer than the Ofla, but not as hard as the June Tailor. I also use one that I bought in the scrapbooking section, it is a gray Martha Stewart board.
I also find the Ofla mats stink way too much for my nostrils.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I'm wanting to get one that isn't green... I must use more green fabric than any other color and I'm having a hard time seeing it well. Mine are all olfa - has anyone had good luck with one of the yellow mats?
I have a pink Olfa one 18"x24". It was a limited edition for Breast cancer a couple of years ago. There are still a few around, but pricey.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 AM

I have an Olfa and it has not been worth the money. I never thought I was very stong and I know my blades need changing but have had to duck tape where it has cut through. And yes, I have tried to cut in different places. I am looking at an Alvin..self-healing, 3mm thick (supposed to be thicker than an olfa or Fiskars), and is used by graphics designers, framers, sewing, etc. So I assume since it is used by the "professional" people, it would be a stronger mat than the others mentined. The price is about the same. Anyone used one of these?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
I don't have a favorite, but I can tell you that you should not get one of those big translucent white ones from JoAnn fabrics. At least, not for rotary cutting on. It'll dull your blades practically in an instant. They're good for covering the surface of your cutting table, though, and will allow you to straighten up your yardage for cutting with scissors.
I second the recommendation about avoiding those white mats at Joann Fabrics. I used to replace my blades way too often when I had the mat from Joann's. Then I bought the "big mat" from a quilt show vendor as a show special. They come in several sizes...here's the link. sewingemporium.com I noticed how blades don't need to be replaced as often...even the ones I sharpened on the electric rotary blade sharpener by True Sharp. There is even a warranty, which I have not seen before.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Be sure not to get the cutting mats that smell like skunks. We used to have a thread here on that. Thought I was never going to get that smell out of mine.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM

I just ordered an Alvin 42x30 from Amazon yesterday for $50. I've been needing a bigger mat and have been researching what best fit all my needs and that's the one that I ended up with. I'm a notorious researcher in my family, they all pick on me and make jokes(it takes me a week to buy a loaf of bread because I have to check reviews from at least 7 different sites first), but the thought of buying something on a whim makes me ill.

A big factor for me was the thickness of the Alvin, as the Fiskars I have now isn't that old, less than a year, but is almost cut through in a couple places. I don't cut on the same lines over and over either, I always vary it. It should be here Tuesday, I'll try to remember to come back here and give a first day review, I hope it's a good one.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Ive been using a yellow for over four yrs. No problems.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM

I have a Martelli matt and love it. Have had it for 7 or 8 years and cut every day. There is no visible cutting marks and my blades last forever. I know they are pricey but have saved a ton on blades. One side is yellow and the other side is purple.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM

I just bought an Olfa at Joanne's. It was 50% off plus my teacher discount of another 15% off. It was a great deal!