Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts talk >

Quilts talk

Quilts talk

Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Not weird at all! Mine do the same thing. They also choose their own names and the labels to go on them. I once had some fabric - Michael Miller I think - with pictures of Italy and words in Italian. I bought it for a class and only used 1/2 the width of the 4 repeats. I didn't know what I was going to do with the other half, then it started screaming my dear SisIL's name. She is half Italian/half Irish. Then the quilt named itself Reflesi d'Italia - Reflections of Italy. Sis in Law and quilt are very happy with each other. The quilt I made for one of my brothers wrote a poem in my head while I was working. Of course that poem went on the label.

So you are not along in your ... insanity.?.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilts talking

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
No, I'm not talking about talking ABOUT quilts, I'm talking about quilts talking. I'm really not loony, but it's happened too many times. If my life were a cartoon I'd have a gift bag with a name on it and the quilt would be refusing to go into that bag. Or another quilt would be jumping off the shelf to climb in instead.

I just made a red/white/black quilt for a bride. It didn't feel right the entire time I was working on it. Started a different one and ... it's hers! THe black/white/red will go to a high schooler at church when she graduates next year. It's hanging on the back of a rocker in the meantime and when I pass it I know it's Jaye's quilt.

I was making a hunting themed quilt for a college graduate. That quilt was having none of it. It wanted to go to our preacher - an avid hunter who celebrated his 10-year anniversary with our congregation. That quilt showed up for the celebration. The college grad? No quilt for him, but he has a serious sweetie and there will be one at a wedding shower, I'm sure.

I find this very strange because I don't think I'm .. intuitive?... sentimental? Not sure what the word is, but I'm very practical and down to earth. Until I get in my sewing room, that is!

I have several tops that are not finished because they haven't claimed their owners yet. When I know who they'll belong to I'll finish them, but in the meantime I'm busy enough working on ones who have picked out their people.

Weird, I know.
I absolutely believe that quilts talk, as well as some fabrics. I bought this pretty, hydrangea I think, fabric with soft lime greens and various pinks, for a backing, as I'd gotten a great deal - $2. 99, from a L QS that had been marked down to make room for more fabric. Well, I was deciding what quilt to make for our church raffle, when that fabric kept telling me it wanted top billing, it wound up looking awesome in a Jacob's Ladder block quilt. I've also had some quilts tell me enough - like when I was making a charity quilt with mustard gold and red, I had pieced enough blocks for a crib quilt and it told me to stop - enough. My quilt guild made quilts for children who were hospitalized, receiving treatment over a long period, etc. - sort of a Ronald McDonald type house, and a month later there was a picture of that quilt with an adorable baby. I was surprised, but the fabric became a quilt who became a comfort quilt for a sick child.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM

Years ago my husband and I were shopping for a gift for our sister-in-law. I saw a vase and said, "That looks like Gerry." Of course he thought I was crazy and said, "It looks like a vase to me." He did not understand, but I know you all do. Fabrics speak to me all the time and say "buy me," and then later tell me what they are for.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM

I had one talk to me last fall. I was working on a prayer quilt in my favorite colors and was so looking for to using it this winter, curled up in my chair reading a good book with my cup of tea by my side. As it neared completion, I heard rumbles from it that I couldn't keep it. Then as I learned that my neighbor of 37 years was moving the quilt told me it belonged it her and I had to let her go. One of my other quilts is mad at me for not coming up with the right applique to complete her, but she won't tell me what it is supposed to be - so she's still in time out!.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM

My ribbon winning baby quilt has decided it wants to go to my Great neice, instead of the one I made for her.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM

With me, I find I want to start a new pattern I have never tried. Get the fabric picked out and I end up cutting for a different pattern at the last minute. NOT what I had in mind for sure. So now I am doing an Irish Chain that was suppose to be a Crimson Cranes. Go Figure!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Yes my quilts talk to me too, from the time I pick out the fabric in the store. I pick my focal fabric, then it starts saying yes that works or oh no this won't do at all. I know what you're talking about. Especially if it's going to someone special.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM

I'm working on one now that I have to MAKE myself go work on it. But my DH requested it and even picked out the colors and pattern. So I HAVE to finish it.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have about 5 quilts that "aren't talking to me" and I don't know who to give them to! They are rolled up in my sewing room. I want to give them to someone, but no one comes to mind! I stuffed one in a box for my daughter for her birthday, but didn't feel like it was her's and she called and loved it and I was shocked! Now, what do I do with the rest of them?? My MIL wants another one, but the one I gave her in 2003 she has a hard time with. It's a cotton one and is summery looking and she told me she gets it out in the fall and winter and puts it away for the spring and summer. She folds it into a small square and puts it on top of her loveseat. I don't want to give her another quilt because she doesn't even show the quilt I gave her and I used all the colors she likes. And she acts like it's a hassle to get it out every year. And to put it away! I gave my 2 nieces each a quilt at Christmas and my MIL was very upset that I didn't give her one. Can you blame me? My niece's are putting their's on their beds. Their mom, my SIL was so happy and loved them.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Not bragging here but quite a few people tell me my longarming is "perfect for that quilt"..........my only answer to that is 'the quilt talked to me'!!!!! YES -- they DO talk!!!!