Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM

I gave mine to my local quilt guild, and they were used to make community quilts. It made me feel good......I know, what with the size of my "stash", I will never use my scraps. Someone needs to invent a device that prevents my car from turning into the parking lot of my favorite quilt store........
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Yes, I'm an ADDICT too. :oops: I have made a heart scrap quilt in PP
and all the hearts are out of scraps given to me. I recently was given
lots of solids, now to decide what to make out of them :?: I take all the
scraps I can get. :mrgreen: I think all things from scraps are very
homey! :wink: So yes,I'm addicted to scraps :lol:
Marilyn in Oklahoma :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM

I plan to.....I like Bonnie's site www.quiltville.com. She is very helpful about how to organize the sizes/colors of scraps and offers alot of free quilt patterns to use up those scraps.
And NO, I haven't done it yet. I just surf her site, sigh, and print out patterns. But at least I will be ready when the time comes! Right?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Scraps are scraps. I like to cut as many 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 blocks as I can. I toss them in a pizza box so they remain flat. When the box gets full, I make a Triple Irish Chain. I once bought fabric for the larger block in this pattern, but now use pieces from my larger left overs. Left overs are pieces of fabric 1/2 yard or less.
These quilts are very colorful and lovely. They make a most wonderful gift, no one ever knows they are scraps.
I also make the reversible quilt as you go quilt using 1/2 square triangles and strips. Again very colorful and fun gifts, especially for charity.

I usually have one or two of these quilts in my closet to give to people who have suffered a setback. The colors and variety seem to give the people a much needed gift.

I am a strange quilter as I do not like having a large stash. To me it is work that is not completed, so I keep my scrap bin as empty as possible! I don't like to be behind on my work! :D
I usually have 2 projects going at a time, but UFO's are not for me!

My quilting friends laugh at me and shake their head in wonder, no stash?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM

I've been using my scraps (less than 1 yard pieces) more since I take the time to cut up my scraps into useable sizes, like 5, 8 or 10" squares, 2 1/2 or 3" strips, etc. I sort them into groups and put them in containers so I know what size is where. I don't cut up my scraps until I've finished a project just in case I need an extra piece. This really helps to keep my sewing room organized (somewhat).
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Yes I do... on a regular basis? Not sure if it is considered a regular basis.

I use them for my fabric postcards all the time but that doesn't use up much scraps. I do make 'crumb blocks' with my scraps as well as foundation strip blocks. These make great quilts for kids for cozying up in a car on a cold day/night, or to sit on in the park or on the beach. Looking forward to making other scrap quilts too. Lately I've seen some wonderful scrap quilts.

I LOVE scraps!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM

I use mine because it saves on the budget. I tend to be quite frugal so I try to use every bit that I can. I like my quilts to have some color boundaries/structure so haven't made an "anything goes" quilt yet. My avatar was made all from scraps, but only red, yellow, green and blue on the white background.

wraez, I really like your avatar. It mixes things up more than I've tried before, but I like the nine-patch look. I'll have to try one of those.

I also use mine for applique a lot.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Sew Cornie.... I was looking at YOUR avatar and thinking how I love the bright scraps....I wanna make one like that too!

My avatar is actually just a bunch of blocks from a 'floral block swap' at my guild. I got enough to make 3 small quilts, which I have not done yet but definitely want to finish and give one to my dd's mil for Christmas.

mutual admiration society? But your quilt is finished!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM

I use my scraps to make Rhonda's boston mini blocks. I try them on to see how I like them. Then go and buy the big material to turn the knowledge into a lap quilt.

Katrina
Old 10-29-2009, 01:03 PM

I have 4 bins.
1. 2" squares
2. 4" squares
3. 5" squares
4. Fabric for prairie point edges

Once in awhile, I make a scrap quilt, when time allows.